What is the difference of front-end server and non front-end server in Exch2003 server ? RRS feed

• Question

• How could I force manual replication of DC related shared folder like sysvol like repadmin /syncall /AdeP ?
    • Moved by Zi Feng Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:01 AM Exchange 2003 issue
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:09 AM

Answers

• How could I force manual replication of DC related shared folder like sysvol like repadmin /syncall /AdeP ?

For Manual DC replication

repadmin /syncall /AePdq

---

All your OWA requests hits your front End Server

All your Databases and Outlook Connectivity remains to your back end server in Exchange 2003

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you ------------- I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:46 AM
  • The diagram makes it look like that, yes. But that is an old diagram, and after RPC exploits appeared, FE in DMZ is not as popular as it once was. FE-BE communication requires some vulnerable ports to be open, otherwise the FE can't function properly as a domain member. I think it is now best to just have the FE within the LAN, and use it primarily as a protocol proxy. The only reason I linked to the diagram was to show how the servers responded to different protocols, rather than a suggestion for a practical topology.

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:25 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 11:32 PM

All replies

For Manual DC replication

repadmin /syncall /AePdq

---

All your OWA requests hits your front End Server

All your Databases and Outlook Connectivity remains to your back end server in Exchange 2003

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you ------------- I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:46 AM
  • A front end server can only act as a proxy to mailbox data held on back end servers. One particular limitation is that you can't practically have mailboxes on the FE server. If you have mailboxes on an FE server (and the System Manager will not actually prevent you from doing this), then they will not be accessible by any type of client. They don't get broken, or anything like that. You just can't access them until you move them to a BE server.

www.leederbyshire.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:12 PM
  • BTW - this is the Exchange 2013 forum.

You should take this to the 2003 one :)

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Yes, there are a lot of questions about anything BUT Exchange 2013 in the Exchange 2013 forums - it doesn't look like everyone reads the forum title to see if it is pertinent before posting.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Yeah,  for Exchange 2003 I can understand.

Not so much for Exchange 2007.  They have no excuse :)

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:40 PM
  • There was Exch2010 server forum in the past.

But I could only find Exch2013 forum now.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:28 AM
  • Hi

I have moved this thread to "Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 - General Discussion"

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:09 AM
  • From the LAN, I think MAPI goes direct to the BE mailbox server that the mailbox is on. From the WAN, MAPI should be coming in via RPC over HTTP (Outlook Anywhere), and will be proxied via the FE server. There is a nice diagram here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997482(v=exchg.65).aspx

www.leederbyshire.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:32 PM
  • The diagram makes it look like that, yes. But that is an old diagram, and after RPC exploits appeared, FE in DMZ is not as popular as it once was. FE-BE communication requires some vulnerable ports to be open, otherwise the FE can't function properly as a domain member. I think it is now best to just have the FE within the LAN, and use it primarily as a protocol proxy. The only reason I linked to the diagram was to show how the servers responded to different protocols, rather than a suggestion for a practical topology.

www.leederbyshire.com

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:25 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 11:32 PM