none
Group Policy Preferences not appyling - Policies work fine

Question

• We are seeing an issue at the environment of one of our clients where Group Policy User Preferences do not seem to apply, while User Policies apply just fine. No matter how simple the preference (for example, setting a Start menu item), this error always appears on the client:

"The client-side extension could not apply user policy settings for '<NAME OF POLICY> {GUID OF POLICY}' because it failed with error code '0x80070003 The system cannot find the path specified.' See trace file for more details."

I have tried applying preferences across different sites and DCs, and across different clients, have ensured the GUID it is looking for appears in SYSVOL, have ensured policies are working (as opposed to preferences), and have tried deleting and recreating the GPO. Same behavior. There have been some changes in this environment recently but I'm not sure if they might be related. For example, the domain functional level was raised to 2012 R2 and the DCs were migrated to different servers. Unfortunately, most of what we do is done with policies so I'm not really sure how long this hasn't worked.

A little about this environment: Clients are mostly Windows 7 with some Windows 8/81 and 10, all DCs are running Server 2012 R2.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:45 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the late response. The environment was taken up to functional level 2016 and was changed from FRS to DFS-R and things started working. Sorry I don't have a more helpful resolution. Thanks for your input.
    Friday, January 6, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    After migrating DCs to different servers, have you tried to clean up metadata of old servers and force a full replication among DCs?
    In addition, please check if you could find any event log and run the following command tools on each domain controller to see if we could get more information to help troubleshooting the problem.
    -> DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s: dcname > c:\dcdiag.log ,
    -> repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
    And here is a KB regarding the similar error, you could also have a try to see if it works:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2904034
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Thanks for your recommendations, Wendy. I will check with my team and work on these.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:57 PM
  • > "The client-side extension could not apply user policy settings for '<NAME OF POLICY> {GUID OF POLICY}' because it failed with error code '0x80070003 The system cannot find the path specified.' See trace file for more details."

Then we might do what the message suggests: Enable GPP debug logging and examine the trace file.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 26, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Sorry for the late response. The environment was taken up to functional level 2016 and was changed from FRS to DFS-R and things started working. Sorry I don't have a more helpful resolution. Thanks for your input.
    Friday, January 6, 2017 3:41 PM