none
XLSB Connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I'm just wondering why the XLSB format processes slower and with more errors than XLS* formats?

It seems to be a pretty common problem in my experience and from what I've seen on various forums/blogs.

Thanks,
    Simon

• Edited by Simon Nuss Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:25 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi guys

I'm just wondering why the XLSB format processes slower and with more errors than XLS* formats?

Hi, Simon.

My experience is just an opposite - xlsB files are smaller and processes faster, since there is no need to parse zipped XML, which is what xls(x,m,t, ...) are in fact.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi Simon. The issues you're seeing are likely due to bugs in the ACE provider, which PQ uses to read xlsb files.

Ehren

Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:57 PM
    Owner
  • Understood, thanks Ehren!

Friday, December 2, 2016 12:25 PM
  • We have ecountered the same problem with xlsb files provided by our partner. Some of the files give the same not in expected format error in power query. So we tried other methods to extract the data.

There we got more meaningful error: "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. This file was created in a previous beta version of Excel 2007. Open the file with Excel 2007 to save it to the most recent version of the Excel 2007 file format before opening the file in Access 2007."

It seems like every file with this error cant be queried to PowerQuery. Can anyone confirm?

Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:14 PM