Windows Phone Compass problems - Calibrating event firing issues RRS feed

• Question

• I was developing an app which heavily relied on the usage of Compass and GPS in Windows Phone.

The problem I faced was that these sensors behaved in wildly varying ways on these phones:

Nokia Lumia 925 - Compass and GPS worked fine.

Nokia Lumia 920 - GPS worked fine but compass was very erratic in its behavior, even when I was standing still the reading used to change.

Nokia Lumia 820 - Compass worked perfectly but GPS wasn't very responsive.

Please note that all these are brand new phones. I understand each phone might have a different sensor behavior, but this fluctuation in quality of readings makes it difficult to have confidence in the app about universal usage.

The main problem I had was with the Compass class Calibrating event. On my 925 it fired almost every time I started the app; after calibrating successfully the sensor was fairly stable. But on the 920 it seldom fired, even though the readings were all over the place.

Has anyone faced a problem with the calibrating event before. I read about similar problems posted by Nokia City Lens BETA users. Is there a way to fix this issue.

Also what is the perfect shape to move the Windows Phone through to calibrate the compass. Illustrative diagrams would be helpful.

Please provide your insights.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:18 PM