Office 2013 OEM & WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Some similar threads out there regarding this however, this scenario is different to most.

Our corporate network is running OEM versions of Office 2013 (Home Business & Professional versions).

ALL of these installations are pulling updates (only for Office) direct from Microsoft, not from our WSUS servers.

How on earth to i resolve this issue? As we begin to upgrade more and more of our staff to this version, the bandwidth required is going to become a problem eventually!

There must be something right?

Thanks,

Nash

Monday, August 4, 2014 12:20 AM

Answers

• The Retail editions of Office 2013 H&B and Pro, are (in my experience) all C2R.

MSFT did not offer MSI versions of these.

MSI versions are only offered for VL editions of Office2013 (Std and ProPlus), and, these are non-subscription.

Only MSI versions can be serviced via WSUS.

All C2R versions and O365 versions are composed using App-V, and none can be serviced from WSUS.

You can use the ODT to configure/deploy O365 subscriptions versions such that they will update from an alternate update source you define, such as an on-premises fileserver or webserver - but you can't point it to WSUS, and WSUS doesn't have the content anyway.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Nash.Kovacevic Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:28 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, are these computers WSUS clinet? Can you see the computers shown in WSUS console?

Make sure you selected office 2013 in products and classifications.

Review windowsupdate.log and post here.

Monday, August 4, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Our corporate network is running OEM versions of Office 2013 (Home Business & Professional versions).

Okay, first issue... there's no such edition as you've named. (Unless you've dropped a critical comma, and you actually meant "Home, Business, and Professional" editions -- but even then, this description is fatally anomalous!)

There are three subscription editions and three non-subscription editions available:

Subscription:

• Office 365 Home
    • Office 365 Personal
    • Office 365 University

Non-subscription:

• Office Home & Student
    • Office Home & Business
    • Office Professional

And only two of those six are licensed for use in a business setting, so are you saying you have Home & Business Edition, Professional Edition, or a combination of both?

ALL of these installations are pulling updates (only for Office) direct from Microsoft, not from our WSUS servers.

So, it's impossible for the non-subscription installations to pull updates from Microsoft if the client is properly configured as a WSUS client. Most PCs that ship with "OEM" installations of Office are shipping with *subscription* instances (and these may have come with the first year prepaid, for example).

If they're CTR versions of O365 (read: Home, Personal, or University) they are always going to get updates direct from Microsoft, because that's how subscription editions are updated.

How on earth to i resolve this issue?

First step is to confirm that the client is actually a WSUS client.

If it is, then the second step is to confirm the actual edition of Office that is installed on these systems. If they're subscription instances, and you have available licenses for Office Home & Business or Office Professional, then uninstall the OEM/CTR instance of O365, and install the one you want.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nash.Kovacevic Friday, August 8, 2014 1:02 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 5:26 PM
  • I am using "Home & Business" and "Professional" non-subscription versions "retail" if you will. At no point did I mention 365 or CTR. I do understand OEM was not the correct term as MS has dropped OEM versions. All PCs are clients of WSUS and receive Windows updates as expected.
    Friday, August 8, 2014 1:13 AM
  • I am using "Home & Business" and "Professional" non-subscription versions "retail" if you will.
    Great. Thank you for the clarification.
    At no point did I mention 365 or CTR.
    No, you did not. But you did describe a scenario that can *only* occur when using an Office365/CTR installation, so it was critical that I confirm the nature of the installation before proceeding down the wrong rabbit hole.
    All PCs are clients of WSUS and receive Windows updates as expected.

Great.

So, now... there are two possible scenarios:

• The client is a WSUS client and it's getting ALL updates from the WSUS server *except* those that are being conveniently obtained by a user via Control Panel (because it is *impossible* for an Office 2013 installation to be updated from MU otherwise, if a client is configured to use WSUS).
    • The client is not a WSUS client and it's getting ALL updates from Microsoft.

The good news is that both of these scenarios are logged comprehensively in the WindowsUpdate.log, so the next step is to identify where in the WindowsUpdate.log the WUA has downloaded Office 2013 updates from Microsoft Update while being configured as a WSUS client.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:06 AM
  • Would you be prepared to examine the WindowsUpdate.log?

I am no expert at deciphering this log file, but i can definitely see it contacting our WSUS server, as well as Microsoft. I am basing this off the following entries in the log file;

+++++++++++  PT: Synchronizing server updates  +++++++++++

2014-07-31          13:37:15:419       456        498         PT             + ServiceId = {117CAB2D-82B1-4B5A-A08C-4D62DBEE7782}, Server URL = https://fe2.ws.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx

2014-07-31          14:19:31:371       456        1e90      PT             + ServiceId = {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}, Server URL = http://wsus.localdom.com.au:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx

Both of these entries are peppered throughout the log.

Initially what brought this to my attention was my firewall reporting, showing large data xfer from Microsoft domains.

Link to sanitised WindowsUpdate.log via DropBox share.
    • Edited by Nash.Kovacevic Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:24 AM Added log file link
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:15 AM
  • Would you be prepared to examine the WindowsUpdate.log?

I'd be happy to. There should be a public email address in my profile bio.

I am no expert at deciphering this log file, but i can definitely see it contacting our WSUS server, as well as Microsoft. I am basing this off the following entries in the log file;

2014-07-31          13:37:15:419       456        498         PT             + ServiceId = {117CAB2D-82B1-4B5A-A08C-4D62DBEE7782}, Server URL = https://fe2.ws.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx

This is a scan for Definition Updates from whichever Microsoft AV/AM product is installed on this system (Defender; SCEP; MSE) as evidenced by the target URL. This typically happens because Definition Updates are not being synchronized to WSUS, or not being automatically approved, or the WUA policy option to allow immediate updates has not been enabled. As a result, the AV/AM software does an Internet-based scan once a day as part of the regularly scheduled system scan to get the most current Definition Update.

2014-07-31          14:19:31:371       456        1e90      PT             + ServiceId = {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}, Server URL = http://wsus.localdom.com.au:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx

This is definitely a scan of a WSUS server.

Initially what brought this to my attention was my firewall reporting, showing large data xfer from Microsoft domains.

Yep, no doubt daily downloads of Definition Updates to every individual machine.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:09 PM
  • The Retail editions of Office 2013 H&B and Pro, are (in my experience) all C2R.

MSI versions are only offered for VL editions of Office2013 (Std and ProPlus), and, these are non-subscription.

All C2R versions and O365 versions are composed using App-V, and none can be serviced from WSUS.

You can use the ODT to configure/deploy O365 subscriptions versions such that they will update from an alternate update source you define, such as an on-premises fileserver or webserver - but you can't point it to WSUS, and WSUS doesn't have the content anyway.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Nash.Kovacevic Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:28 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:32 PM
  • I'd be happy to. There should be a public email address in my profile bio

I couldn't find an address on your bio - I have however included a link to the file in my previous post.

This is a scan for Definition Updates from whichever Microsoft AV/AM product
    In this instance, ok - It's not the only occurrence of external contact in the log.
    Yep, no doubt daily downloads of Definition Updates to every individual machine.
    I wish it were... Only clients with Office 2013 contact an MS downloads site, and in orders of magnitude greater than a definition update. We do not use MS AV/AM products internally - The entry shown above was from a re-formatted machine, so it was the first external entry i came across - Whilst MS AV/AM was still active.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:01 PM

Don

Hi Don,

This is VERY interesting....

Upon looking into this further, you would be correct. I even had MS answer desk confirm this.

What a pain in the backside!

Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:28 AM