none
Issue with editing the Tag RRS feed

• Question

• I am little confuse and trying to understand this issue. so Please forgive me for nut question.

I read couple of articles about edit the tagging, So confusion.

1. Is it ok to edit a tag to article? with this edit we cant leave a comment.
    2.  if wana leave the comment then we have to edit the document and put the comment there.Is it ok to edit the document just for tag so that we can leave the comment?
    3. there are many traditional tags which everyone can add i.e language, has table, has code, has image, has see also, has toc etc. is it ok to add that. Because there is no clear instruction for this.  If not then why these tags exist or other moderator use it or edit it for others?
    4. edit always count towards contribution, So if i edit 20 wiki and only edit the tags, Put language code in it i.e es-ES or en-US etc. is it bad practice, if yes then why not we move this type of edit to different category? 
    5. it is easy for anyone to report a user that he is not doing the constructive edit because he/she think that particular user edit the tags. Is there any tool which prevent that type of reports or any board who analyze it before making the decision.
    6. What about the html edit, which always shows blank in history.
    7. Lastly, if this not good practice then I think top contribution award always go to the Moderator. regular user will not get benefit from that, as their editing tags may be get reported and they get banned from the forum But who can challenge the Moderator. as my own article was edited by them with tags only.

My understanding is, even some editing the tags he is spending quality time on this community he should be respected, unless he is spamming something.

One suggestion, we can have an approval mechanism, Where if i edit others article then an approver ( can be moderator or user with some reputation level) analyze and approve it.  We can have a recognition for this activity as well.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:22 PM

Answers

• 1. It is fine to edit tags, but it should be done with caution. For example, we can add useful tags that our guidelines recommend, such as Has Table, Has TOC, Has Image, etc. But we should only remove or alter a tag when it clearly is a typo, or was added by mistake. If the author wants their own tag, that is fine, even if it doesn't seem useful to us.

However, the Wiki community has decided to standardize some tags. In particular, we have decided that some tags should be singular. For example, Has Image and Has Comment. There are several reasons: 1) If there are two (or several) tags for something, then since tag searches cannot handle "Or"s, no search will retrieve all relevant articles. We can search for "Has Image" and "en-US", but we cannot search for "Has Image" or "Has Images". And 2), if "Has Images" is in the tag cloud (every tag used in any Wiki article is), the autocomplete feature will quickly change the singular into the plural. Even if the article has just one image, or the author intended the singular, they can mistakenly add the plural if they don't see the final "s" suddenly appear. Most of the time you need to delete the final "s" before you save. Unfortunately, we have never been able to remove "Has Images" from the tag cloud because there are a few corrupt articles with the tag that cannot be modified.

2. I like to leave comments to explain what I did, and perhaps why. But I consider tag edits less important, so I use the "Edit tags" hyperlink (even though I cannot add a comment) so I get less credit for the edit (I believe). Also, if I am using my Tablet with IE 11 (IE has several bugs in the TechNet Wiki) I do not want to edit any Wiki articles. I can mess up spacing (duplicate <br> tag bug) or remove colors (RGB color bug) if I edit in IE 11. But the "Edit tags" feature is safe. But, if you feel you need to communicate why you modified a tag, then sure, use the Edit tab so you can leave a comment.

3. While we are encouraged to not remove or modify most tags the author has added, your list of tags are in the Guidelines Wikis and are considered useful. People want to find all articles with tables or a TOC, for example. Perhaps to find out how many such articles there are, but also to fix problems with the tables (like when they get cut off) or the TOC (like the bug when a heading includes the "0" character). Language tags are a great example. The monthly blog post updating how many articles there are in each language depends on these tags. Plus, when we eventually add more Wikis for more languages, we will need these tags to migrate the articles. We currently have Wikis for English, Chinese, Russian, and Portuguese, but we should add Turkish and some others (based on the numbers of such articles).

4. I honestly don't know if tag edits count towards profile achievements (like "Wiki Editor"), but I suspect they do. I know the feeling, that you are getting credit for something minor compared to correcting an error in an article, fixing a typo or grammar, or adding a Table of Contents. But consistent tags make the Wiki more useful. They help everyone find the articles they need.

5. Several Wiki gurus (regulars in the TechNet Wiki) are member of the TechNet Wiki Community Council. Periodically members have online meetings where issues like this are discussed. At other times we instant message in a Skype group. Some members, and other gurus, work on things like finding plagiarism, or duplicate articles, or spam, etc. I have seen complaints that some people might be working to increase statistics (numbers of edits) to get recognition by making minor edits. Other examples are articles with a link to elsewhere but no real content. Members of the Community Council instant message about such reports, and an attempt is made to communicate with the person privately.

6. Yes, some edits that are very useful don't show up on the "History" tab because they are in the HTML editor. This can include fixing the Table of Contents by modifying the anchor tag names, or removing extra <br> tags that multiply like crazy every time an article is saved (another bug). But we suspect some people have also made very minor HTML edits to increase their number of edits. If we suspect that, we attempt to communicate with the person. When I make HTML edits (or any edit other than just tags), I try to leave a comment, but sometimes an error causes the comment to not get saved. We live with it for now.

7. I would not say that HTML or tag edits are not good practice. I am often guilty of both.

The entire TechNet Wiki is a community project where we can all improve articles. You have pointed out some challenges we have grappled with over the years. There is always a tradeoff when you try to encourage and reward participation, where it seems like some try to "game" the system. For more on the Community Council, the members, and what they do, see:

TechNet Wiki Community Council

TechNet Wiki Community Council: Focus Areas

TechNet Wiki: How to Join Leadership

TechNet Wiki Community Council Members

There are also a few other groups: The TechNet Wiki Advisory Board, an International Council, a Featured Articles teams, and several language based groups. And that doesn't count the judges for the monthy Guru contests.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:55 PM

All replies

• 1. It is fine to edit tags, but it should be done with caution. For example, we can add useful tags that our guidelines recommend, such as Has Table, Has TOC, Has Image, etc. But we should only remove or alter a tag when it clearly is a typo, or was added by mistake. If the author wants their own tag, that is fine, even if it doesn't seem useful to us.

However, the Wiki community has decided to standardize some tags. In particular, we have decided that some tags should be singular. For example, Has Image and Has Comment. There are several reasons: 1) If there are two (or several) tags for something, then since tag searches cannot handle "Or"s, no search will retrieve all relevant articles. We can search for "Has Image" and "en-US", but we cannot search for "Has Image" or "Has Images". And 2), if "Has Images" is in the tag cloud (every tag used in any Wiki article is), the autocomplete feature will quickly change the singular into the plural. Even if the article has just one image, or the author intended the singular, they can mistakenly add the plural if they don't see the final "s" suddenly appear. Most of the time you need to delete the final "s" before you save. Unfortunately, we have never been able to remove "Has Images" from the tag cloud because there are a few corrupt articles with the tag that cannot be modified.

2. I like to leave comments to explain what I did, and perhaps why. But I consider tag edits less important, so I use the "Edit tags" hyperlink (even though I cannot add a comment) so I get less credit for the edit (I believe). Also, if I am using my Tablet with IE 11 (IE has several bugs in the TechNet Wiki) I do not want to edit any Wiki articles. I can mess up spacing (duplicate <br> tag bug) or remove colors (RGB color bug) if I edit in IE 11. But the "Edit tags" feature is safe. But, if you feel you need to communicate why you modified a tag, then sure, use the Edit tab so you can leave a comment.

3. While we are encouraged to not remove or modify most tags the author has added, your list of tags are in the Guidelines Wikis and are considered useful. People want to find all articles with tables or a TOC, for example. Perhaps to find out how many such articles there are, but also to fix problems with the tables (like when they get cut off) or the TOC (like the bug when a heading includes the "0" character). Language tags are a great example. The monthly blog post updating how many articles there are in each language depends on these tags. Plus, when we eventually add more Wikis for more languages, we will need these tags to migrate the articles. We currently have Wikis for English, Chinese, Russian, and Portuguese, but we should add Turkish and some others (based on the numbers of such articles).

4. I honestly don't know if tag edits count towards profile achievements (like "Wiki Editor"), but I suspect they do. I know the feeling, that you are getting credit for something minor compared to correcting an error in an article, fixing a typo or grammar, or adding a Table of Contents. But consistent tags make the Wiki more useful. They help everyone find the articles they need.

5. Several Wiki gurus (regulars in the TechNet Wiki) are member of the TechNet Wiki Community Council. Periodically members have online meetings where issues like this are discussed. At other times we instant message in a Skype group. Some members, and other gurus, work on things like finding plagiarism, or duplicate articles, or spam, etc. I have seen complaints that some people might be working to increase statistics (numbers of edits) to get recognition by making minor edits. Other examples are articles with a link to elsewhere but no real content. Members of the Community Council instant message about such reports, and an attempt is made to communicate with the person privately.

6. Yes, some edits that are very useful don't show up on the "History" tab because they are in the HTML editor. This can include fixing the Table of Contents by modifying the anchor tag names, or removing extra <br> tags that multiply like crazy every time an article is saved (another bug). But we suspect some people have also made very minor HTML edits to increase their number of edits. If we suspect that, we attempt to communicate with the person. When I make HTML edits (or any edit other than just tags), I try to leave a comment, but sometimes an error causes the comment to not get saved. We live with it for now.

7. I would not say that HTML or tag edits are not good practice. I am often guilty of both.

The entire TechNet Wiki is a community project where we can all improve articles. You have pointed out some challenges we have grappled with over the years. There is always a tradeoff when you try to encourage and reward participation, where it seems like some try to "game" the system. For more on the Community Council, the members, and what they do, see:

TechNet Wiki Community Council

TechNet Wiki Community Council: Focus Areas

TechNet Wiki: How to Join Leadership

TechNet Wiki Community Council Members

There are also a few other groups: The TechNet Wiki Advisory Board, an International Council, a Featured Articles teams, and several language based groups. And that doesn't count the judges for the monthy Guru contests.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:55 PM
  • I really appreciate your response. very detailed and informative.

I think there is very thin line between the gaming the system and editing the tags(using the edit url). 

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:42 PM