Is there a way to reserve desktop space so icons don't automatically appear there? RRS feed

• Question

• I was just wondering if there was a way to reserve space on your desktop so icons never get placed there. I enjoy windows gadgets but I prefer to have some of them on the left side of my screen as it reduces clutter and allows me to keep things organized. The problem arises when I download something to my desktop or install a program and the icons get placed behind my gadgets, Is there a way at all to reserve that desktop space behind my gadgets so files never get placed there?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Oh btw I'm using Windows 7 64bit in case anyone was wondering.

Friday, May 13, 2011 8:49 AM

Answers

• Short answer: No.  But you can limit the links to the "bin", and maybe add "computer" because that's as it always was (but unnecessary, the "computer" link in the start menu is good enough).  Then delete or move any new links as soon as they are created, and the bottom of the left side should stay free for one or two gadgets.  You could also try "small icons" for links on the desktop to preserve more free space.  Or disable auto-sort and move these icons to other places, e.g., to the top.  Right click on the desktop to modify these settings.     
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:54 AM