none
Uninstall Command - Suppress Retry/Ignore Application Open Window RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but I am attempting an uninstall command with the quiet option so my end users don't know it's going on.  I'm uninstalling an Outlook plugin.  It works fine when Outlook isn't running, but if someone has Outlook running, the uninstaller will let the user know, "hey outlook is still running".  You have the option to Retry, Ignore or Exit.

Is there an option within MSIEXEC or a property that will know to just say ignore automatically without user interaction?

Currently my msiexec parameters are:  MsiExec.exe /X{6E9F4BD2-A268-48FA-A81D-F4561EC0D1B6} /qn

I know technically this isn't a "script" question, but i know this could be used in a script.  Basically we have a third party application that starts the command (Dell Kace to be specific) and runs it, but since this is a Microsoft installer question, I figure I'd start here.  If this isn't the right place, please point me to which forum I need to be under.

Plus I'm attempting this option first (with Kace) so I can let it do it's thing throughout the day.  We don't have SCCM and I can put this in a script in a GPO to run, but so a reboot isn't require to start this process.  I know that choosing the ignore option will result in a reboot, but at least I have part of the uninstall completed.

Thanks,

JB

• Edited by JBerg712 Monday, November 28, 2016 5:01 PM Add Info
    Monday, November 28, 2016 4:57 PM

Answers

• PowerShell:

if ( -not (Get-Process outlook -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) ) {
      msiexec /x "{6E9F4BD2-A268-48FA-A81D-F4561EC0D1B6}" /qn
    }

That is, only execute the command line if there are no processes running named "outlook".

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:23 PM

All replies

• Post in Outlook forum to get help with how to deploy Outlook.

You cannot suppress user warnings unless the Add-In vendor has supplied an option.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, November 28, 2016 6:29 PM
  • PowerShell:

if ( -not (Get-Process outlook -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) ) {
      msiexec /x "{6E9F4BD2-A268-48FA-A81D-F4561EC0D1B6}" /qn
    }

That is, only execute the command line if there are no processes running named "outlook".

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:23 PM