none
Add progress lines to Timeline view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm trying to create a timeline for a report and it looks great but it is missing any progress lines. It shows 'today' but not where we are today. Is there any way to get this info. Does anyone use any other tools for timeline reporting?

Suggestions please

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:45 AM

Answers

• A W Johnston --

If you are talking about seeing progress lines in the Timeline view, there is no such capability.  As far as other timeline reporting tools, you might consider OnePager Pro at:

http://www.chroniclegraphics.com/products/onepager.php

To be totally transparent, I have not personally used OnePager Pro and have no affiliation with the company.  I have seen the tool demonstrated and like it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by A.W Johnston Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:33 PM

All replies

• A.W,

I would like to help but I am not sure what you are getting at. When you say "timeline" do you mean the long rectangle with the bar above the entry bar and below the ribbon? Or do you mean the Gantt Chart?

When you say "progress lines, do you mean the thin black bar overlaid on the task bars in the Gantt chart, or something else?

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:50 AM
  • A W Johnston --

If you are talking about seeing progress lines in the Timeline view, there is no such capability.  As far as other timeline reporting tools, you might consider OnePager Pro at:

http://www.chroniclegraphics.com/products/onepager.php

To be totally transparent, I have not personally used OnePager Pro and have no affiliation with the company.  I have seen the tool demonstrated and like it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by A.W Johnston Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:33 PM
  • After updating your schedule, there should be no incomplete work in the past and no completed work in the future. Today is therefore close to where you are at.

As Dale said, there is no progress line capability in the Timeline View but with the correct update process you don't need one.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Timeline Not Gantt Chart.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:35 AM
  • Thanks Dale 

I have downloaded the free trial and it is a nice addition to MS Project. 

Works very well - just have to consider the costs. 

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:37 AM
  • I could update my schedule to show the work is complete and that we haven't progressed on any tasks ahead and then the Today would be a great representation of what isn't real. Programme sponsor would be ecstatic too...Until they realised that in fact we were behind on the baseline schedule and needed to make some decisions on how we were best to fast track the schedule. 
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:42 AM