none
Portfolio Analysis Question and Concern RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've run a portfolio analysis, and it selected one of 10 projects. I went into the Requirements Details report and it indicated that I needed developers, so I went into Resources and activated a series of developers I had ready and refreshed the analysis and reran, and selected more projects. I then went into the Requirements Details report and it told me that I needed Test Analysts, so I choose to hire 2 resources, the amount it indicated it needed, and recalculated. It then selected a few more projects and then the Requirements Detail report indicated I needed a few PM's. So, I choose to add more resources and recalculated and it selected all the projects. I then went into the New Hire Report and it told me it needed to hire Architects, Developers, PM's, Test Analysts and Business Analysts!! Why did it not tell me in the first Requirements Details report that I needed all of the roles to be filled, it fed them to me one at a time? This is not good.

My question is that when it tried to staff a project with available resources, if a PM is available for a 2 year project, with maybe a few monthly gaps, will it fill in those 2 months with another PM, or 2, that might have availability for those months? I guess this is statistically and logically correct, but it kind of implies resources are widgets and can be moved around without any issue. Most likely any organization would look at the 2 months that this PM didn't have availability, and adjust those if the could. Granted, if it was vacation time a fill in would be needed. I understand building this type of artificial intelligence is a long way off, if even possible, but I'd just like to validate my assumptions so I can paint a realistic picture of the workings of the tool to senior management. Any and all assistance and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Ray Wohltman

Monday, August 21, 2017 1:33 PM

All replies

• Yup - that's my experience. If you have 10 team members, and each has 1 hour a week of remaining capacity... and a new project that would take 10 hours a week from that team, it would get selected "in".

In reality, this might be ok... working with resource managers there's always the possibility that some other work was overestimated, or that some work can move around opening up a bigger block of 10 hours from 1 or 2 resources.

Regarding vacation time - we definitely enter holidays and closures into the enterprise calendar. I think those are reflected within portfolio analysis. We also found that with sick, vacation, fmla, bereavement, jury duty, etc... we should only count on 85% of full capacity - so that's the "max units" for most of our resources. Doing something like that *would* get you closer, but as of now it doesn't seem like "Portfolio Analysis" is taking into consideration max units on resources

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/f62ec380-7eda-435e-b187-fec852d32191/portfolio-analysis-doesnt-seem-to-respect-max-units?forum=projectonline

Ian

• Proposed as answer by Ian Bruckner Friday, December 1, 2017 4:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:28 PM