none
MSP 2010: Finish Date with seconds after splitting task using status date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are using MSP 2010 (with Server). When updating schedules (ressources are assignments to tasks) by entering "% of completion" and options

• Move end of completed parts after status date back to status date = on
    • Move start of remaing parts before status date forward to satus date = 0n

the tasks are splitted (as expected) but sometimes finish date is calulated with seconds, for example finish date = 06.06.2011 16:59:24 (insted of 17:00. ) (This is visible in VBA only, not in date columns of MSP) Any change of duration can be done in minutes only, so I cannot set finih date to 17:00. In consequence, successor task start at the same date (06.06.2011) as predeccessor. This is a little bit confusing for my users. They see the same date. In schedule calculatio these few seconds are not importand, but the result displayed to users is confusing.

Is there a fix available or a work around?

Kind regards
    Hartmut

Hartmut
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:50 PM

Answers

• Try this instead of the line you are using:

"Startdate: " & Format(.Start, "MM/DD/YYYY h:mm AM/PM") & "   Finishdate: " & Format(.Finish, "MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm AM/PM"), vbOKOnly, sMsgTitle

you may need to change to DD/MM/YYYY if you use different date format than the US but this will work to truncate the seconds off your times.

--- Brian Kennemer Web: http://www.deltabahn.com Blog: http://www.projectified.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Hartmut,

Are you taking about the MSP or your some VBA code? If its MSP does changing Date Format doesn't help. Please let us know more about where actually you want to have change in the format.

Sapna S
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

I am talking about MSP. MSP does not calculate finish date to full minutes in the situation I described above. Updating a task by applying automatted task split at status date somtimes results in finish dates with seconds <> 0. (You cannot see this in finish date coulumn because displaye format is limited to minutes.) I do not want to change any format. I want a calculation dates with no seconds.

This error is visible by running this macro

Sub ShowDateFull()
    'Messagebox with start date and finish date of active taks in internal format
    Dim myTask As Task

For Each myTask In ActiveSelection.Tasks
        If Not myTask Is Nothing Then
            With myTask
                MsgBox "ID: " & .ID & "  Taskname:" & .Name & vbCrLf & _
                        "Startdate: " & .Start & "   Finishdate: " & .Finish, vbOKOnly, sMsgTitle
              End With
        End If
        Next myTask
    End Sub

It results in a message box with" Stardate: 02.05.11 08:00:00 Finishdate: 06.07. 16:59:24"
    The macro is not my problem, the seconds in finish date are the problem.

I hope to make clear my problem.

Hartmut
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi Hartmut,

Smallest Unit in which MS Project could take duration is Minutes, you have reported that it is coming in seconds - which seems may be due to macro or some code running in to pull or push values into the Start/Finish Dates. Please check on it. If no macro is working, try changing the default unit of Duration to Days and Work to Hours by File -> Options -> Schedule.

Sapna S
    Friday, July 8, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

Indeed, smallest Unit is minutes. I do not use macros for setting a date and my default options for duration and work are Days and Hours resp.

But updating tasks by% completion and options - mentiond in my 1st posting - set on (File -> Options -> Advanced) results sometimes in a finish time with seconds. I think this is an internal error in MSP. Does somebody know a fix? (Appliing SP1 does not remove this error.)

Hartmut
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hello Hartmut,

IMHO it is neither a bug nor error. It is a result of the calculations after updating the schedule by entering % Complete. Project calculates the finish date and stores it as a serial number; e.g. it is 40730.707917 for 06.07.11 16:59:24. Project rounds it off (16:59) and displays in hh:mm format in the table. VBA code gets the serial value and displays without any rounding off (16:59:24).

Regards, Ismet

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:28 AM
  • Try this instead of the line you are using:

"Startdate: " & Format(.Start, "MM/DD/YYYY h:mm AM/PM") & "   Finishdate: " & Format(.Finish, "MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm AM/PM"), vbOKOnly, sMsgTitle

you may need to change to DD/MM/YYYY if you use different date format than the US but this will work to truncate the seconds off your times.

--- Brian Kennemer Web: http://www.deltabahn.com Blog: http://www.projectified.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi Ismet,

For me it is a bug. A software with minimal duration unit of 1 minute must not calculate any date with seconds.

The problem is in the calculation of splilt start or split finish date, when updating the scheule. I wrote a macro, that removes secondes from split finish and start.  Now I can set finish date ro end of day and successors start at next day.

Thank your for your posting. It helps to find my work around. (But still this is a bug.)

Kind regards
    Hartmut

Hartmut
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:36 PM