none
Problems Dual Booting Windows 7 Pro with Windows 10 Pro RRS feed

• Question

•     I recently bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad E455 64bit (8.1 Pro upgraded to Win 10 Pro) to replace my Toshiba Satellite 32bit (Vista business upgraded to Windows 7 Pro) and bought a SSD so I could dual boot between the systems. I used EaseUS Todo to clone both systems to the SSD and got the Windows 10 working wonderfully, but cannot boot to Windows 7 without a blue screen of death that consistently refuses to allow me to repair it with my repair disk.

The Lenovo doesn't have a CD drive, so I pushed the repair files to a USB. Still not working. The laptop just won't boot from the USB or give me the option to repair. And I can't create a Recovery Drive because I don't have a Windows 7 ISO, just my 7 Upgrade Disk. I went to Microsoft's site to pull down the Windows 7 ISO, entered my product code and received the choices of Korean or French language downloads. No English download is available for my product code (which is English language).

BTW, I moved the SSD into the Toshiba and I can boot to Windows 7 all day long from it. So the SSD / clone is good. Ran a checkdisk on it and everything is good. It just won't boot up on the 64bit Lenovo system.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me on fixing this issue? Blue screen of Death only stays up for 2 seconds, but I managed to take a picture with my phone. The message reads:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80786A58, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

(NOTE: Reposted here from MSDN on the advice of a Microsoft Support Engineer)

MCITP:DBA, MCDBA, MCSA

• Edited by Catadmin Friday, October 16, 2015 10:50 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Due to you use 3rd party tool to clone the system, it may cause various unknown issues which we are not familiar with.

It seems that you only have Windows 7 upgrade key and Windows Vista OEM key. According to current situation, even though you are able to clone the system successfully, have you thought you will face the activation problem due to the motherboard changed?

However, If you are using a retail key, after you perform the clean installation on the new system into SSD and setup the dual boot, then you can transfer your data and settings via Windows Easy Transfer and USMT. Pay attention to that image recovery will bring the older drivers on your current system.

For your blue screen issue, it may be caused by the motherboard record in Windows. When you clone the system to another motherboard, it is certain that the new motherboard will not support. Also, the incompatibility will be exits in driver field.   

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:39 AM