none
Status of Task in Resource Assignments Summary view RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project Server 2013.

I view tasks in the Resource Assigments Summary View and would like to add an indicator so that I can see the status of each task.

The trouble with adding a custom field as a Resource Entity is that it then gives the status at Resource level which I don't want.

If I add a custom field as a task entity, it doesn't show up as a field in the Resource Assignment view.

I'd like to add the following formula to a custom field: IIf([% Work Complete]=100,1,IIf([Finish]>Date(),2,3)).

Any ideas?

Monday, April 11, 2016 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When creating a task custom field, you could select the following option, to get the value roll down at assignment level.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:59 PM
  • For your Resource Usage view, then I would suggest that Guillaume's suggested approach is the best in most practical cases - though of course you would apply it as a Resource field rather than the Task field he illustrated.

On the other hand, if you have some unusual case where the Task's Work %Complete and the assignment's Work %Complete are very different (e.g. one big task with a lot of resources expected to contribute independently) then getting the Task's custom field value to appear in a Resource Usage view would require a little vba to copy the values over.  Even then, I've not been successful at getting graphic indicators to work on assignment lines.

Good luck, tom

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:23 PM
  • I need a combination of both your answers, Guillaume andTom, and have been unsucessful so far.

I need a custom task field as that will give me the status for each task line. On the other hand, I need this custom task field to appear in the list  of available fields in my Resource Assignments view and can't see a way to get it there.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:25 AM
  • There is no natural association between custom task fields and resource assignments.  If you must have a task custom field become available for display in a Resource Usage view, then you need to create a corresponding custom resource field and fill it with vba at the assignment level.

Presuming you have used Guillaume's suggestion to create a custom task field (that rolls down to task assignments), here's a little vba code that will copy those values over to the corresponding resource assignments.  The code uses Number10 as the custom task field and Number2 as the custom resource field.  You'll need to modify the code slightly to accommodate other fields.

Sub CopyTaskFieldToResourceAssignment()

Dim Res As Resource
    Dim Rass As Assignment 'Resource Assignment
    Dim Tass As Assignment 'Task Assignment

For Each Res In ActiveProject.Resources
        For Each Rass In Res.Assignments
            For Each Tass In Rass.Task.Assignments
                If Tass.Resource = Res Then Rass.Number2 = Tass.Number10   '''Modify as needed
            Next Tass
        Next Rass
    Next Res

End Sub

I'm really not a fan of this approach for general use and feel you would be better served using the Task Usage and Resource Usage views as defined.

Good Luck, tom

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Thanks for the excellent advice, Tom.

The reason for my question is that I'd like a 'single click' view to get an overall status. Task Usage would be ideal, but it is limited to my tasks. I therefore use Resource Usage, select all resources and I get a very, comprehensive overview with a single click.  If I can tweak it to give a task status, then it would meet all my needs.

Do you know of another way to get a 'health check' of all task?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:34 PM