none
Resources with a future start date appear overallocated RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

With Project 2010, since last week any resources in my project with a future "Available From" date always appear overallocated after I close and reopen the file--the ! message is the standard "The resource is overallocated and should be leveled." I definitely leveled them and saved before closing the file.

Some background info on what I've tried so far:

I see this issue with both a brand-new test project I just made and with a project that already existed. The test project is really simple - two resources with 1 day of work each. Resource 1 doesn't have an "Available From" date and doesn't appear overallocated when opening the file. Resource 2 has an "Available From" date of March 2, 2015 and appears overallocated every time I open the file. This issue happens when tasks are auto-scheduled and manually scheduled.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Dale,

I've found a workaround: use Change Working Time to make a resource unavailable rather than the Resource Availability field. You can make a resource unavailable until the desired start date and they don't appear overallocated.

Unfortunately I cannot share my file with you for business reasons, but I was able to see this issue by creating a new project, creating a new resource, setting their Available From date to March 1, and assigning them a 1-day task. Save the project and reopen it, and that resource should appear overallocated.

Thanks,
    AJ

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:57 PM

All replies

• AJ --

Does the resource with the Available From date of March 2 have any work scheduled BEFORE March 2?  If so, that will cause the overallocation to appear for that resource.  The reason for this is when you specify that a resource has an Available From date of March 2, you are saying the resource IS NOT AVAILABLE before March 2.  Thus, the availability for that resource is 0% until March 2, which means that any work scheduled for the resource BEFORE March 2 will cause the resource to overallocated prior to March 2.

I created a project that simulates what you are doing, and was able to create the resource overallocation you describe.  When I moved the task to March 2 or later, the overallocation disappears.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do with the Available From date of March 2?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:50 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response.

No, I do not have that resource's work scheduled before the start date. For the resource with a start date of March 2, that resource appears overallocated even when I put a "do not start until March 9th" constraint on the task.

I have the "Available From" date in the future for resources I expect to have available in the future but are not available now. I already have the work they're expected to do in the schedule, they're just not available to do it yet.

Thanks,

AJ

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:00 PM
  • AJ --

Well, you have gotten my curiosity aroused.  If you would like me to take a look at your project, please e-mail it to me at:

Dale(DOT)Howard(AT)epmainc(DOT)com

Replace the (DOT) and (AT) text with the appropriate characters to create my real e-mail address.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I've found a workaround: use Change Working Time to make a resource unavailable rather than the Resource Availability field. You can make a resource unavailable until the desired start date and they don't appear overallocated.

Unfortunately I cannot share my file with you for business reasons, but I was able to see this issue by creating a new project, creating a new resource, setting their Available From date to March 1, and assigning them a 1-day task. Save the project and reopen it, and that resource should appear overallocated.

Thanks,
    AJ

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:57 PM