none
How do I change the timeline timescale in MS Project 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• I REALLY like the new multiple timeline bar functionality in MS Project 2016!

How can I change the timescale in the timeline pane?

I am familiar with how to adjust the timescale in the GANTT CHART pane, but haven't been able to identify how to do it for the timeline(s).

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot really adjust the timescale, if I understand correctly your concern. You cannot set the timescale but start and finish date of the timeline.

If you have just 1 timeline bar, it will automatically adjust to the width of your Project windows. Meaning that if you have only a 1-day task in your timeline, the duration will be spread on the entire width. You cannot set the start/end dates of the default timeline.

Then if you add additional timelines,, you'll be able to specify start/end dates for the additional timeline. If you want to set dates for all timelines, you have to remove the default one and keep only the extra timelines added.

Does it help?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Tofer006 Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot really adjust the timescale, if I understand correctly your concern. You cannot set the timescale but start and finish date of the timeline.

If you have just 1 timeline bar, it will automatically adjust to the width of your Project windows. Meaning that if you have only a 1-day task in your timeline, the duration will be spread on the entire width. You cannot set the start/end dates of the default timeline.

Then if you add additional timelines,, you'll be able to specify start/end dates for the additional timeline. If you want to set dates for all timelines, you have to remove the default one and keep only the extra timelines added.

Does it help?

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Tofer006 Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I believe you understand my concern correctly - I am interested in changing the timescale that is associated with as many timeline bars as are in use.

And yes, I understand that the timeline timescale is based upon the earliest Start and latest Finish of the included tasks.  I am indeed utilizing multiple timeline bars, and am familiar with the "remove whitespace" process that uses the Date Range setting to customize Start/Finish dates.

Sounds like it's not currently possible to do what I'd like to - is there a formal process to submit an "enhancement request" for that capability to be added in a future release of MS Project?

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Yes you can submit request to Microsoft through the Project uservoice:

https://microsoftproject.uservoice.com/forums/218133-microsoft-project

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:44 PM
  • that's my problem.  the Timeline timescale used to adjust to the Gantt timescale.  I open my MS Project Std 2016 today and BEHOLD, the Timeline scale now shows days of week (SMTWTFS), is way out of whack with the Gantt timeline and cannot be adjusted no matter what I do.  what happened and how do I fix?  HELP!
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:49 PM
  • no.  your reply does not help at all.  
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:55 PM
  • I agree - another "no help at all".  Another example of Project introducing a great idea that is only half-baked.
    Friday, April 6, 2018 3:58 PM
  • I have this problem too.  Previously useable timelines are now formatted in days of the week - there is no way an 18-month project fits on one page in a daily scale!  This has happened intermittently for some time, but previously I could click on 'View - Timeline - Timeline' and it would readjust to show the whole timeline across the page, but that no longer works!  Why is it not possible to switch this back to a sensible scale?
    Friday, April 20, 2018 4:38 PM
  • I have this problem too.  Previously useable timelines are now formatted in days of the week - there is no way an 18-month project fits on one page in a daily scale!  This has happened intermittently for some time, but previously I could click on 'View - Timeline - Timeline' and it would readjust to show the whole timeline across the page, but that no longer works!  Why is it not possible to switch this back to a sensible scale?

Yesterday I had a Dell Latitude with Project Professional; today I have a Dell Precision with Project Professional - yesterday the timescale on timeline worked great - it showed the timescale in Months.  Today, I've changed nothing else and it is showing 'dates of month' - 2, 5, 8, 11, etc.  This is totally useless (and ugly) and not something I want to put in front of the executives.  After much searching I could find no other thread or help other than this one :(. 
    Friday, August 3, 2018 5:33 PM
  • I was facing the same problem but was able to get my way around it by using a combination of customized date range to truncate white spaces and Zoom tab (View-->Zoom).  Zooming in gave me some flexibility to adjust the timescale and my tasks made more sense with description now visible. Let me know if this works.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:00 PM