"An unknown error has occurred..." RRS feed

  • Question

  • The full error message as displayed in the PP 2010 Dashboard is:   An unknown error has occurred.  If the problem persists contact an administrator.  There may be additional information in teh server application event log.

    The error is displayed if I:  1) create a filter, 2) create an SSRS report running in integrated mode, and 3) create a connection between the two.  Pls note that if I do just #1 and #2, all is displayed and the dashboard does not generate an error (in other words the filter values are displayed and are selectable without any problems as is the SSRS report).  So it is only by trying to actually use the filter values that the above error is generated.  I've checked numerous times that the values being passed are in line with what the report is expecting, and tried different combinations of values to double check.

    Also, I have no problem generating some filters AND creating a connection TO THE SAME REPORT.  I carefully go through and make sure that the datasources to the various filters are identical with the sole exception being the table that the refer to.  I've jacked up to the max (e.g. sysadm rights) the access rights of all accounts I can think of that are involved in the dashboard (SharePoint App Pool identity, PP data connection credentials, SSRS account, unattended service account, ...).  But some filters work fine, and at least one always generates the error message above.

    Finally, one other wierd problems, after days of succesfully deploying dashboards from designer to the SharePoint site I now get:  ...the document library "sites/dashboards" is unavailable.  BUT the dashboard does deploy, if I delete the dashboard and then deploy it, I get the error message but the dashboard is put out on the SharePoint site.

    Any thoughts, hunches, ideas appreciated.  Thanks.

    Monday, April 9, 2012 8:17 PM

All replies

  • Update:  pls strike the question involving "Finally, one other wierd problem....".  Some dashboard elements were deleted to try to simplify down the dashboard, and certain pages were still referring to those deleted elements.  Once I deleted the pages with "orphaned" elements, the error message "sites/dashboards is unavailable" went away.

    Monday, April 9, 2012 8:20 PM
  • One more interesting twist:  I can create a Member Selection filter type and it works just fine.  However, if I create a Custom Table filter type I get the An unknown error has occurred...  Everything is constant with the only difference being Member Selection vs Custom Table -- Datasources, SSRS report that is being connected to, etc.  In the image below, the drop down on the left is based on a Member Selection filter (works as expected and filters the SSRS report successfully), the drop down on the right is based on a Custom Table filter and it fails when connect to the report.  Thanks again.

    Monday, April 9, 2012 8:46 PM
  • This would depend on how your report is build and how it expects the parameter to be passed. Seems to be the format in which parameters are returned are mismatched with what SSRS expects.

    To troubleshoot run a SQL Profiler trance and verify the format of filter values passed from both filters.


    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Umair, that it actually got me thinking.

    I'm convinced there is a significant bug in SharePoint 2010 and SSRS in Integrated Mode -- filters based on custom tables do not work if the key or the display value has a parentheses in it, that is "(" or ")".  And I suspect the filters do not work if any column in the table has a value that has a parentheses in it.

    I made no other changes other than changing the paramter values from, for example, "CIS (7003)" to "7003" and the functionality is working as expected.  Please note again that I had to eliminate entirely the column that had values with parentheses in it from the data source (simply leaving it in and not including it in the key or display value failed).

    In any event, that's my considered opinion after about two days of playing with this.

    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:38 PM