Win 7 Explorer / Settings not saved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:     Having run everything in CCleaner.  To include old Registry. To clear a 2010 Dell laptop; after years of my monkey experiments:) The cleaner worked wonders. Every thing responds like new! But now having issues with saving display preferences; a restart or reboot will revert the following to a default state.

1) The Task Bar Icons. After drag and drop to a preferred display order. The Icons revert to a default view after restart.

2) The Window Location. After moving display to desired positions. The session will save opening. Restart moves back to default.

3) Folder Option- folder Views. I followed the Help routine. From Folder Options the Save View to all folders. Did not work! Have to open Customize  this Folder. Click apply view to sub-folders. And Then -  have to move to General Property, Advanced; and run Archive functions! After the Attributes resets. The session will save my new default folder view.

And then restart reverts all this stuff. Back to a default view?   The Support at CCleaner blame local issue. No solutions. Their instruction FAQ says to restart Explorer.exe. That leaves the situation FUBAR and SNAFU :)

Solution anyone???      Thanks,     Carl

Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:13 PM

All replies

• Can you try a clean boot and check the results ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Hi Carl,

It is not recommended to use the third party to clean the registry keys .This may do damage to the registry keys and result in unexpected behavior.

We can try the following fixit tool to have a diagnostic:

Welcome to the Fix it Solution Center
    https://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

Choose Windows,Use Desktop features ,or open programs and files. Run the related fixit according to your symptom.
    We also can try to run "sfc /scannow"to have a system files` health check.
    According to the symptom you have posted, we also can try to create a new account and login with it. There is a possibility that the present user account profile has corrupted.
    If the issue persists, we can perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 5:43 AM
  • Hi, MeipoXu;    I had already done the SFC scans. CBS logs there show OK.  The Registry clean solved other issues. Like broken shortcuts; that MS Trouble/ System Maintenance - would Not clear:) After years of going through various programs; performance is much  improved by taking out the old entries!

The Desktop Fixit has indeed reset Explorer. It has my saved Folder Options running. I need not go through the procedure to change again. But a restart will lose the saved Folder Views again. The Windows Location cache is still going back to default. So are the Taskbar Icons!

But restore would defeat the Point of running cleaner. And rebuild the trash that Needs to be deleted. The system refreshes like new again. Not sure a registry issue is causal here. Are not the Settings in a Local file somewhere? I have the Taskbar Icon file in User/ AppData/ Local. Deleting and letting Windows rebuild? Does not keep saved view after restart.

User Account seems OK. I can try that and cross fingers. Unless we have a known problem issue to fix.

Thanks,     Carl

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:15 PM
  • Thanks Arnav;    You mean to start with system services/ utility,  alone. And see if the Folders will function? I'm  not sure what this shows us. Another program would interfere with Explorer how?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:37 AM
  •   And still working. Just tried going to Windows Services. And I disabled the Index Options. And the Windows Search  services. After restart I turned them back on. Got the pop up that all Search functions are sent back to Default. Hopefully this might reset the Windows Search functions. And solve any problems!

Will check if this gets the Views in Folders saved.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:41 AM
  • Hi Carl ,

Arnav Sharma `s suggestion is used to troubleshoot whether this issue is caused by the third party service .
    Here is a link for reference of performing a troubleshoot .
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

As for creating the new account and login with this account ,it is used to troubleshoot whether this issue is caused by the specific acccount or the machine .
    If it only occurred with the specific account ,we can refer to the following link to have a fix .
    Fix a corrupted user profile
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

If it is caused by the machine ,I am afraid we need to perform a system restore .There is much possibility that the third party software has done some damage to the registry keys .
    To clean the registry keys ,we can try the following official tool to have a check .
    Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall
    Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:46 AM
  • Hi MiepoXu;     The FixIt for program install, Registry found no issues. The clean boot is not useful. That Cleaner has dumped a temp file. Or possibly a Registry key for a folder? The program itself would not have a conflict. Safe Mode would run it too!??

On User Accounts this Win 7 Home Premium version hit the same issue. I followed the article. Setting up new Admin User Accounts. To refresh possible User Account corrupted files? When I tried to copy the Old account. From a neutral account. The Hidden and Protected files. Will not show up! This is the same problem I hit. When using Folder Options/ Save View.

Add Icons and Window locations. Restart will lose it. Any more general trouble shooting ? Or can we try finding out Where these settings are supposed to be?

Thanks,        Carl

Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:35 AM
  • Hi Carl,

Will the issue persist with the new created account ?

We can try to reset all the settings to default to have a check.
    Open windows explorer \Organize \Folder and Search Options \Restore Defaults (All the three tabs "General","View","Search").

We can refer to the following link to have a troubleshoot.Please backup the registry if you want to make modifications to the registry keys.
    Fix: Windows 7 forgets Folder View settings
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-forgets-folder-view-settings

If the issue persists, I am afraid the Ccleanner has done damage to the system and a system restore is necessary to resolve the problem.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Monday, May 11, 2015 1:42 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu; The User Accounts did not work. I got as far in article. As setting up the three accounts. To copy files from Old to a New Admin account. When I tried to open hidden/ protected files. From a new Admin account for copy. The system just reverted back to hiding files again! That is the Folder View Options again. Not saving the selected View. So can not create the New Admin account. Unless rebuilding the entire computer. One program etc. at a time! Luckily the User Account is not likely.

The article you link suggests increasing folder capacity.  At the hot link ....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/813711?wa=wsignin1.0        Incorrect data on keys. But the Title nails my issues cold! The Win Vista, Win 7 section shows two shell/ no roam keys. And later two classes/ wow6432 nodes. And Both are missing from my system!

I tried the folder size hack. And got it doubled to 10,000 bag size. The FixIt for Folders checked and fixed, my monkey work.:):):) Those missing folders are not created. So they may only apply to Vista.

But issue still here. This article has the right area. Do we have something with newer and correct registry to fix?

Monday, May 11, 2015 5:34 AM
  • Hi Carl,

"So they may only apply to Vista"
    The link I have posted is applied to Windows 7,too.We can get the information from the link.
    We can refer to the link to delete and recreate the related registry keys to have a check(Pay attention to the 32 or 64bit ).Please back all the registry keys before made modifications to them.
    "1.Delete the following registry subkeys:•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

For x64-based versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7, delete the following registry subkeys:•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

2.Re-create the following registry subkeys: •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

For x64-based versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7, re-create the following registry subkeys:•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    •HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

3.Create and then set the BagMRU Size registry value to 5000 in the registry subkeys that you created in Step 2.
    "
    " The User Accounts did not work"
    Do you mean the issue will persist with the new created account ?
    If that is the issue,I am afraid the Ccleaner has done damage to the machines` registry keys.A system restore is necessary because we don`t know the related keys has been removed by the software.

Best regards

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:08 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu;     The keys are Not present in my x64 Win7 Home Premium. It lacks the shell no roam. And lacks the Wow6432 nodes. So I question article The MS FixIt for this file , folder? Resets the keys. And Did Not replace them.

Also. The MS FixIt for program install. Checks Registry issues. And my system Passed! No registry patch etc. issues found.

I got the folder size increased in Bag Size keys. Again; the article did NOT SHOW the three places where size needed to be changed. The MS FixIt for File and Folder reset my work; after I followed the Errant Instructions; in your link! So I have not needed my registry backup. Yet:)

The User Account will Not allow me to show hidden, protected files. From the new account created. To copy from Old profile. To new. I can only show the hidden/ protected files. From my current admin account. That MAY be corrupted. In view of key issue? I think not.

The basic problem persists. I can set display in these three areas for my session. Restart, reboot reverts to default. Something somewhere- key, folders is missing. The XP/ Vista/ Windows article is suspect. And Flat Out Wrong on key display for my system!

Thanks,    Carl

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I am afraid the Ccleaner has done damage to the machines`s registry keys.Because the new created account will come across the issue ,too.
    We` better to perform a system restore to recover to a point before we ran the Ccleaner.

It is not recommended to use the third party software to clean the registry keys.It may result in unexpected behaviors.

Best regards

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:21 AM
  • MeipoXu:   How do you explain system passing the registry check? You linked MSFixIt for program install. It clears the registry. Your addled  opinion has not solved the issue. Please forward to a new moderator!
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:30 AM
  • Hi Carl,

We may have some misunderstanding here.

The fixit tool related to installing and uninstalling is used to clean the registry in case that the older software has not been removed completely from the registry keys.It is not used to check the health of the registry keys.

I suspect the Ccleaner software has done damage to the machines`registry keys because the new created user account will not work well,either.

Best regards

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Your comment above MeipoXu;

"possibility that the third party software has done some damage to the registry keys .
    To clean the registry keys ,we can try the following official tool to have a check .
    Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled
    and link to MS FixIt. For program install/ uninstall.

The Registry Patch checked out as  clear ; on this system. Absent fact in evidence the cleaner has DAMAGED . As opposed to simply cleaning. I'd like to hear second opinions On The Issue! My three areas above. Are saving new settings during the session.

That is the point on your Old article for XP/Vista/ First releases 7? The one with the BAD DATA on my 7 system registry keys!!!!!!

It is After a restart. That settings on view/ icons/ window location - are going back to a default. Find Out Where the files, folders, registry are. And a check list should show us what to repair. This may be a Context Menu problem. My Folder View Options? Will Not save the new setting. Until I move to Folder Properties/ General/ Advanced- and reset the Attributes. The  save setting there;  is supposed to be set by clicking Save View!

That is issue in trying to create new admin accounts. Your shotgun approach to do general maintenance . And then blame damage via cleaner.  Is not a solution. Yet!       Carl

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:22 AM
  • Total BS from arnavsharma moderator. The problem not solved by any suggestions here. I finally found the task bar icons etc. Are saved with Hibernate mode. Shut down loses the display order and window location preference. There may be a Command line solutions with Power Configuration settings. Still looking and Moderator has Not Solved. Crap on the CCleaner registry editor!

Carl

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:46 AM
  • There do not appear to be easy or hot fixes for the registry problems.  It may take you time to find fixes.  Registry cleaning using Ccleaner by a HP technician on one of my computers lead to a clean install with HP recovery media.

A repair install (not clean install) of Windows 7 or a free upgrade to windows 10 may be options.

Let us know if you are interested in either of these options.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:24 AM
  • No evidence on registry as Causality. Customize the taskbar icons. The file at c user app data local icons. May simply not be loading with Restart or Shutdown. And works from Hibernate  After the Hiberfilesys file. Was deleted and restored. Command line to turn off and back on. Restores a broken Hibernate Mode.

The file and related keys to store. The display and icon order. Are Where? One thread had keys for Vista. This is 7 Premium. And did not match the article above! See enable balloon notification. A registry key toggles on or off. No one answered the basic issue. Which files and keys. Have the icon order and window location data. And are supposed to reload after a restart?

Carl

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:41 AM
  • And thanks to questionsms forums. I could indeed run a repair. Had hoped a simple answer was forthcoming. This thread is all over the general maintenance , map! I'll need to download an ISO file for 7 Home Premium to do it. My factory system image is on a disk recovery partition. Never got an install disk.  I have the TechNet and MSDN and MS home links to try.  Win 10 is not supported on this old 2010 Dell.

Which runs like Timex and still tickin. Issue of CCleaner? Did you allow a disk wipe on C Protected OS? Their Forum for older versions. Gave solution as deleting the icon cache file. Then Explorer process to kill memory. And a restart rebuilds the icon cache. That was years ago! And new versions do not report any similar issues.

Avast too has a solid Registry cleaner. I credit both with keeping this old PC at optimal speed! And minimal issues.

Carl

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:21 AM
  • This is a link for a windows 7 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

These are some links that are worth reading.  Much of information is self explanatory with text and images.  If you need additional assistance let us know.

https://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Windows 10 free upgrades are still unofficially available - ExtremeTech
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:33 AM