none
Domain: 1 owner, his 2 companies and his user/laptop

Question

• Hello.

My company's owner also owns another one. He asked me to join him to both domains, so his laptop and user logs on both domains and works with everything. I told him that's not possible... But I should counter-offer with the best option for him.

What should I tell him?

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you should consider creating domain trusts:
    Domain Trust
    • Edited by BearEater Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:21 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi Josadi,

As BearEater said, you could consider to create trust. With a forest/domain trust, you can allow all accounts to authenticate from A into B, or you can enable selective authentication, which will require each resource server in domain B to specifically allow accounts from domain A to be able to authenticate.

But the account could only be added in one domain and his laptop could only be joined on the one domain,

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:37 AM
  • That is not possible as a PC can be member of a single domain and not two. The only way I see for him would be to create a trust relationship between both domains - This requires that DCs of both domains can reach each other and that needed ports are opened in both directions. That way, he would be able to login to his PC using credentials from both domains.

You might also think about making things more simple: You can think about consolidating both AD domains and migrate the objects from one domain to the other one. If this is something you want to explore then I would advise to use ADMT.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 9:10 PM