System Icon Popup windows disappear RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance.

I use Win 7 64bit serv pack 1 on Phenom II X2 560 in an Asus M4a785-M motherboard with 8g ram and GTX 460 video card.

About two weeks ago I started haveing trouble with system icon windows. 

For Example, when I click the "basic" volume icon, the typical small horizontal window opens, but if I move the cursor up to adjust the volume, the window disappears before I get there.  This happens around 90-95% of the time.  Sometimes it will behave normally.  Also happens with the wireless network icon, open action center icon and "show hidden icons" icon.  

What can I do?

• Edited by Ajayjohn Monday, April 11, 2011 9:24 PM
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 4:53 PM

All replies

• I have now discoverd that this behavior is true for other "mini windows" such as when calendars open in Outlook 2010 to set date ranges and the like.   Pain in the keester.
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Try to boot in Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode, you may use ShellExView.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Ok, I tried clean boot and the behavior stays the same.  The only thing that has eliminated it was to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then the generic windows driver that still exists after the nvidia uninstall.  Then if I don't restart, the mouse focus/popup issue is gone.  As soon as I reboot, Windows starts installing its own driver and the behavior returns.

I haven't tried ShellExView yet, but should tonight.  Working a lot so haven't had time for my own computer...............

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:13 PM
  • BTW, Thanks Arthur

Closed all non-Microsoft dll's using ShellExView and problem still there.  Don't want to do a clean install of windows if I don't have to........................anyone have any other ideas?

Also I have uninstalled Nvidia drivers, cleaned with Driver Sweeper and re-installed several times.  Bought new mouse and keyboard.  None of these worked.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi Ajayjohn,

Perhaps try installing the latest beta nVidia drivers?

My idea of a party is a virtualization server and a room of TechNet DVDs
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:06 PM
  • For anyone who wants the solution, it turns out my User Profile was corrupted.  Found out when I created a new profile for my son to use the computer and his did not show any signs of this.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:01 PM