Exchange 2016 Transport Service will not restart after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have Exchange 2016 CU5 running on WinServer 2016. I have a four node DAG. Behavior is consistent across all four nodes. If I reboot one of the Exchange nodes, then the "Microsoft Exchange Transport" Service will not start on reboot. To recover, I can manually go in and clear out the queue, then start the Transport service. the service will stay running until another reboot, which requires the same manual intervention.

I have read somewhere (can't find the source now...) that Exchange 2016 does not support some type of filter, and this prevents the Transport service from starting? But I did not find how to remove that filter (if that is what it is) from my environment.

The Exchange environment was migrated from Exchange 2013. All other aspects of the Exchange environment seem healthy. This behavior has existed through every CU that I have applied, since CU2.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please set the transport service to delayed start and see If it starts automatically with the following command in poweshell.

sc config <service name> start = delayed-auto

We can also set the search service to autostart with delay.

If it doesn't work, please check the appliction log to see if any related events and post out in detail.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:56 PM
  • So it turns out there is a known issue with Exchange 2016 Transport Service running on Windows Server 2016. 

See this MS article: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/03/23/exchange-server-edge-support-on-windows-server-2016-update/ 

Quoting Microsoft from this article:

Brent Alinger [MSFT] says:

If you are not using Windows Server 2016, this article still applies. We are recommending that you not do this on Windows Server 2016 due to a known incompatibility that could lead to a transport crash. The crash will not happen in all cases. The Exchange and Windows teams are working together to resolve the incompatibility. At this time there is not a complete resolution to the issue which can be provided.

More info provided here: http://www.expta.com/2017/03/how-to-uninstall-antispam-agents-on.html 

The issue I face now is that even when I run the Uninstall-AntiSpamAgents.ps1 script and uninstall the malware scanning in Exch 2016 on Server 2016, my transport service still crashes on reboot.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:19 PM
  • One more note: when installing a new instance of Exchange 2016 on Server 2016, and DISABLE MALWARE SCANNING during setup, then I have no issues at all with Transport service starting on reboot. However, if I ENABLE MALWARE SCANNING on new instance of Exchange 2016 on Server 2016, then Transport service will NOT start on reboot. The subsequent behavior is consistent in both scenarios.

The problem is that I have multiple Exch2016 hosts with Malware Scanning enabled, and I am unable to resolve the Transport service not starting on reboot, regardless of running the uninstall-AntiSpamAgents script referenced above.

Help!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:25 PM