Unable to start following Windows 7 upgrade and game pack install RRS feed

• Question

• Took delivery of a commercial Surface unit today. After setup we joined it to our domain, upgraded to windows 7. We were unable to locate the Touch Pack so downloaded the game pack to start.

After installing the game pack we switched to user mode at which point it displayed a message saying:

"We have encountered a problem and have to take a break"!

it didn't respond and restarting the unit doesn't do anything other than display the same message then the screen goes blank. Ambient light is pink and we don't seem to be able to switch to any other mode.

Any pointers to what we can do to resolve this would be appreaciated!

Karl.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Karl, Windows 7 is not supported on the Surface. You will need to revert back to Windows Vista. Please see the following article on how to restore the factory image.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692045.aspx

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Sr. Support Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Surface Support
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Josh,

Thanks, I've learnt a lesson in this - don't listen to the install technician when they suggest upgrading :-)

We've restored to the vista image but are having problems with the user mode not responding - screen is blank. The ambient light tool running under admin doesn't work either, it opens but nothing appears on the desktop - not green circles....

Have followed the advice given by support of calibrating, installing applications, removing surface runtime and reinstalling but it's in the same state.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Fixed it, found the other thread about secondary display.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Karl, I would be very interested in knowing the name of the tech that told you to upgrade to Windows 7. PM me with that information if you have it.

Thanks.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Sr. Support Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Surface Support
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Josh,

I would PM it but I'm obviously having a bad week as I can't see an obvious way to do it!

Cheers,

Karl.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:08 PM