none
MS Project 2013 - Issue with Resource Custom Fields RRS feed

• Question

• When I use “Resource Custom Fields”, (Number type) the formula do not work. Moreover the “Calculation for task and group summary rows” options do not work (be it sum, average or any other option). Any information regarding this will really be helpful.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

Assuming you are using the MS Project 2013 without Project Server?

Could you share more details what are you trying to achieve so that we can assist you further?

Cheers, Badal

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:59 PM
  • The number field you see in the Resource view will not show data if you add the same Number field to a task view.  I agree with Badal, let us know in more detail what you are trying to accomplish.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:52 PM
  • In Project 2013 SP1 I created a Resource custom field Number1 with formula [Standard Rate]*1.25

Easy, but as you say the answer did not display. However I pressed F9 to recalculate and it did then update. Automatic calculation is on.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:17 PM
  • You are right in assuming that I am using MS project 2013 without the Project Server. I have a number column (say Number1) in task view that contains custom "Unit of Work" against a given task. What I am trying to achieve is total "Unit of Work", across all tasks, assigned to a given resource. Based on the allocation (number of resources and respective unit) I am able to populate the resource custom number field (say Number 1). How do I acheive a roll up (sum) of these numbers at a resource level? I hope it clarifies the problem.
    Friday, May 23, 2014 4:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response. Do you mean that total number fields available across task and resource views are 20? My understanding is that it is 20 for task views and 20 for resource views (project type is disabled for me). Although I am able to get the numbers the issue remains with usage of formula and rolling up (sum) these numbers at resource level. I have provided more details of issue in earlier response to Badal.

Friday, May 23, 2014 4:08 AM
  • No, what I mean is that data you enter into the Number1 field added in a Resource view (Resource Sheet for example) will not show the same data as the Number1 field added in a task view.  See FAQ51 at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

If you are seeing the correct data in the Task view, you can try applying the built-in Resource Group - but the issue will be that you will not see the total per resource.  For example - if Resource1 and Resource2 are assigned to one task and then Resource2  and Resource3 are assigned to another task, you won't see the individual details for Resource 2.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 6:55 PM
  • You are right. I am able to see the data in the Resource View but the total (roll up summary) at Resource Level is not available for the number type custom fields (although it has the same properties as custom number field in Task view).
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:53 AM
  • Sorry, I'm not seeing that issue in Project 2013 SP-1.  Here is what I've done step by step:

1. Applied the Resource Sheet view.
    2. Added the Number1 field to the view.
    3. Customized the field with the formula: [Standard Rate]*1.25
    4. In the custom field dialog box selected "Sum" for the rollup for group or summary rows.
    5. Applied the Resource Group group.

The data rolls up as expected.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:01 PM