Unable to get property 'getmModelJSON' of undefined or null reference RRS feed

• Question

• My client gets an error in IE11 when accessing the client's Amazon (vendor) account. I press F12 and find this: "unable to get property 'getmModelJSON' of undefined or null reference". Also this when I refresh the page: "Unable to get property 'attributes' of undefined or null reference." In particular, I can see that a calendar control where they would pick a date range is not working.

This happens on only this one computer and only in IE; other computers do not have the problem, and the user can open the page perfectly in Chrome. But it is not the user's local profile; I log on as domain admin and get the same issue. I have tried the following:

1. Clear IE cache & history

2. Reset IE settings

3. Remove & replace IE11 (Programs and Features → Turn Windows Features on or off → Uncheck IE 11, reboot, re-check IE11, reboot again, run Windows updates, and reboot. Still no change).

4. Remove & replace Java. Same version as other working computers.

When I search for help on the error, it all leads me to developer forums. But I am not the developer, just IT support for the end user, so I have no control over the source code, and the fact that it occurs on multiple user profiles on a single computer should tell me that something is awry with IE11 on this one computer. However, this is just a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro computer like almost all the client's 50 computers or my offsite home/office computer and has the same IE11 version as other working computers (11.0.9600.18738). It has nothing particularly unique, so far as I can tell, except this problem.

Monday, September 11, 2017 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in no-addons or Inprivate mode to rule out third-party addons.

The Amazon Assistant Addon for IE is c r a p.... and is sometimes bundled with Java JRT or other software downloads. Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>Amazon Assistant>Uninstall. !important... restart your computer for the full changes to take affect.

The amazon assistant addon is an ActiveX control. It may not work properly (its c r a p) if IE's ActiveX filtering is turned on.

see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2011/02/28/activex-filtering-for-consumers/

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Monday, September 11, 2017 9:57 PM
  • Amazon Assistant is not installed. Also, I ran IE with the -extoff switch to load without add-ins, and it did nothing to solve the problem.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

.... we have no control over programming errors of third-party websites. It is common for websites to have scripting errors (pay  peanuts, you get monkeys), but browsers will continue execution if the developer tool is not visible.

To troubleshoot scripting errors that may be caused by blocked content, security or XSS site configurations first go

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages". Save changes.....

Now when you open the dev tool (after a navigation event) the Console tab, will list markup, IE security and XSS warnings and errors.

"Also this when I refresh the page: "Unable to get property 'attributes' of undefined or null reference." In particular, I can see that a calendar control where they would pick a date range is not working."

what about ActiveX filtering? has the user turned it on for that site?

Tools>Manage Addons>Show currently loaded addons...... are there any Addons (COM components or ActiveX controls) that are listed by are disabled?

the -extoff does not disable ActiveX components.... some IE Browser addons (like the Amazon assistant) are implemented as an ActiveX control and will be attached to the browser even with the -extoff switch.

this forum is for questions about

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

web site development/debugging questions should be posted to the appropriate MSDN forum.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:43 AM
  • I understand that we have no control over the programming; however:

1. This is my client's computer; that makes me an IT Pro; I manage all aspects of IT service on 15 small business networks, and this is a single  computer in one of those 15 networks. The rest of the computers have no problem with this site, so that would seem to indicate

2. I am not a web developer, and certainly have no control over the source code. It is of interest only in that it may give us a clue to what might be configured differently on this one computer. I asked here specifically rather than on a development forum because I already searched those forums extensively before coming here. The focus there is entirely on fixing code, over which I obviously have no control, not on resolving client configuration problems. It was only when it was clear that this problem was unique to IE11 on a single client computer that I came here. Certainly, there could be a problem with the site, but my question is not about the site; it is why Internet Explorer 11 on one computer is functioning differently from the rest. That is, any response over there that would be helpful can have nothing to do with development and must be 100% related to the client IE11 configuration--which is what I thought this forum was for.

So perhaps I should rephrase the question to be more consistent with the fact that it falls correctly under the topic of IE11 Configuration/Management: what do I need to reconfigure in IE11 on this one computer to make it work with this site the same as the rest of the computers and Chrome?

It has to be something that occurs only with IE, not Chrome, and was not resolved by what I have done already:

1. Try different user profiles
    2. Try with a newly-created user profile
    3. Remove/reinstall IE 11
    4. Enable/disable all add-ins
    5. Start w/o add-ins
    6. Flush the cache
    7. Restore advanced settings
    8. Try with & w/o compatibility view
    9. Reset IE settings.

If it is a configuration issue, it is either something in the default profile, having therefore been propagated to all users as they log on to this domain computer, or it is actually within IE (or perhaps Java, if that is in play for this site; I really cannot tell). For now, I have the user using Chrome for this one site, but that is an answer I really do not like, because I think IE gets a bad rap, generally due to bad programming out there, but in the end, I cannot argue with the fact that Chrome, at least, makes this work for the user. It worked in IE11 for this user until maybe two weeks ago, and I do highly suspect a change in programming at Amazon; however, that does nothing to explain why the same page loads fine in Chrome and on every other computer where I have tested this. And as the technical consultant, my focus has to be on what I can do on the client side to fix this.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:19 PM
  • And just to be clear: I am fairly certain that this is all due to a recent code change by Amazon; however, I am trying to figure out how to get it to run correctly on this computer like it does on the rest.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:19 PM