none
Task Usage re-assigns 12-hr day to be 9.5 hrs on the first day and 2.5 hrs on following day. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• This is driving me crazy!  In Microsoft Project 2010 Standard, I created a calendar with a 12-hour working day on Thursdays.  I assigned this 12-hour calendar to my Project, my Task and my Resource.  When I assign this resource at 100% Units for 12 hours on Thursday, MSProj re-assigns 9.5 hrs on Thurs and 2.5 hrs on the following day (Fri).  Why?!??!?? 

My settings in the Task Form are:  Fixed Duration, Auto-Scheduled, Not Effort Driven, Duration at 12 hrs, Resource's Work Column at 12 hrs, 100% Units, No Predecessors.  In the Task Information/Advanced box, Constraint Type is Must Start On, Constraint Date is Thurs (Jan 3), Scheduling DOES ignore resource calendars.  In Task Information/General box, Priority is 500. 

I am having the same problem with a 10-hour calendar that re-assigns 9.36 hrs on Thurs and 0.63 hrs on Fri.

I just had Microsoft Project 2010 Professional installed on my computer today (if that matters).

Any hints would be very appreciated!  Thank you!   MJR44

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:13 PM

All replies

• MJR44,

When you say Project re-assigns the hours, are you referring to duration hours or work hours? My guess is you are talking about duration hours. If so, the value is determined by option for hours per day. My guess is that it is still set to 8 hrs per day. Project only allows one value for that option so you cannot for example define an 8 hour day on Mon through Wed and Friday and have a 12 hour day for Thurs.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:00 PM
  • What time does that task start?  If it does not start at the beginning of the work day on Thursday, it will be scheduled for how many other hours there are available for the balance of Thursday.

Turn on the display of time in File > Options, General - Project View section - Date format drop-down.

Julie

Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:45 PM
  • And to add to Julie's point, check the default start and end times under the Project:Change Working Times Options.

Graham

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:24 PM