locked
Storage Metrics reports are not matching with the original file size RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear All,

    I was comparing my Doc lib size with the storage metrics report but the total size was not showing correctly. The original size of the doc lib is 2 GB but it shows as 7 GB.

    I know there are some known issues with these storage metrics report. But still I dint get the correct answer/solution for this issue.

    Tried below but no go

    1. We are using SP-2013 SP1 version

    2. No  items in the recycle bin / versioning

    3. Recalculated storage

    $URL = “https://Teamsiteops.an.com/sites/test"
    $Site = Get-SPSite -identity $URL
    $Site.RecalculateStorageUsed()

    4. Storage Metrics timer job is running success

    I don't want to do export/import and wasting time as my site was too big.

    Please advise if you know any KB or MS has fixed this issue.


    Srini


    • Edited by Neel_k Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:38 PM

Answers

  • You're probably missing things, deleted items in the first or second stage bin, versions or something similar.

    Do a test if you like, download some of those files, note down the size on disk, then upload to a new document library and check the file size it reports.

    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:19 PM

All replies

  • To be explicit, where are you seeing the different sizes and can you give screen shots?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Attached.

    Srini

    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Ok, but where does it say 2GB? Where does that number come from and why are we doubting the 7GB value?

    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Sorry there were 2 document libraries with size

    1. LIB 1 was 2 GB but In the storage metrics it was showing Total size = 7.3GB

    2. LIB 2 was 500 MB but In the storage metrics it was showing Total size = 2.2 GB


    Srini


    • Edited by Neel_k Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:20 PM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:19 PM
  • So within the storage metrics screens the total size of the files is less than the size of the library that they appear within?

    That's most commonly deleted items or versions. Have you checked both recycle bins with a Site Collection Admin account (ie. one that can see everyone's deleted items in the second stage bin)

    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:50 PM
  • Hi Neel_K,

    As an suggestion, you can use PowerShell to get size of each document library for the site:

    $siteURL = "http://your site"
    $site = new-object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite($siteURL)
    
    foreach ($web in $site.AllWebs)
    {
     foreach ($list in $web.Lists)
    {
    
            if($list.BaseType -eq "DocumentLibrary")   
          {
        $listSize = 0
       foreach ($item in $list.items) 
            { 
              $listSize += ($item.file).length
            }
         "Web: "+$web.Title+", Library Name: "+$list.Title+", Size: "+[Math]::Round(($listSize/1KB),2)+"KB"     
    }
    }
    }
    
    

    For Storage Metrics issues,   I would suggest you submit a feedback to the SharePoint Platform if there any expectation about the future version of SharePoint:

    https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/

    It is a place for customers provide feedback about SharePoint products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

    Best Regards,

    Lisa Chen


    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:30 AM
  • No the actual size of the Lib 1 was 2 GB but In the storage metrics screen it was showing Total size = 7.3GB.

    Yes I've checked both the recycle bins there are no files. I'm an SCA for the site .


    Srini

    Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:34 PM
  • How are you getting the 'actual size'?
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:02 PM
  • By adding the file size column with sum and to the Library


    Srini


    • Edited by Neel_k Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:17 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:15 PM

  • Hi Neel_k,

    Have you checked the PowerShell?

    Best Regards,

    Lisa Chen


    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, July 1, 2016 11:40 AM
  • Yes. I've checked the powershell but still the storage metrics report is not matching with the original size of the lib's


    Srini

    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:57 PM
  • You're probably missing things, deleted items in the first or second stage bin, versions or something similar.

    Do a test if you like, download some of those files, note down the size on disk, then upload to a new document library and check the file size it reports.

    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Ok I will try thank you

    Srini

    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:29 PM