none
Remote Connection not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am a mechanical engineering student and I need to use Solidworks (a program) to complete tasks. This program costs a lot so my university provides us some Remote connection to their computers who own versions of this program.

For some reason, the remote connection is not working on this laptop.

This laptop is a Toshiba Tecra with Windows 7 64-Bit, 8 Gb of RAM and Intel i7-2640 2.80GHz.

When I try to connect I get the following error:

" You're computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Remote Desktop Gateway server is temporarily unavailable.    Try reconnecting later or contact your network administrator for assistance. "

I need you people's help! For the moment I am using my Macbook Pro or home built gaming desktop, but it's very inconvenient. I have tried a lot of things but nothing worked, so I guess I will start back step by step.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:13 PM

All replies

• hi,
    1 from your description ,you want to use laptop(Toshiba tecra) to remote connect to the computer which is installed solidworks , is it true?
    2 do you set the RD gateway server name correctly ?
    [because if you in university network ,you can bypass RD gateway and connect to computer which is installed solidworks .However,if you at home ,you can not bypass RD gateway and connect to computer which is installed solidworks.  ]
    3 If you turn off the firewall temporarily on laptop(Toshiba tecra) , is the issue persist ? like picture 2
    Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Customize Settings  --->firewall 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:56 AM
  • 1) Yes indeed! I am using my laptop (Toshiba Tecra) in order to connect to a computer on campus that has Solidworks installed on it. It's a .rdp file that I downloaded from my course website.

2) Right now I am in reading week, so I am not on campus and cannot try this. As soon as I get back I will try to do it.

3) I tried turning off the firewall, but it still gives me the same issue.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

• Edited by Theg00d Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:09 PM
  • hi,
    OK, from step 2 
    You can also consult your classmates or your teachers. I think they also have the need to use Solidworks . Maybe they can give you the most direct help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 3:05 AM
  • So for this class we all need to use Solidworks. 

It works for everyone's laptop except my Toshiba. 

I have asked the teacher's and they don't know anything beyond some basic troubleshooting that we tried. Classmates know even less.

It works perfectly fine on my Macbook Pro VIA a remote app as well as my desktop at home.

So this is a specific problem with the configuration of my Toshiba laptop and I can't really put my hand on it!

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:12 PM
  • hi,
    thanks you for replying these important information.
    1 what's the your desktop windows version ,you can enter winver in command prompt and look the os version ?
    2 what's the your toshiba laptop windows version ,you can enter winver in command prompt and look the os version, is it win7 home version?
    3 After entering ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt on win7 then check the below condition:
     3.1 when you only use network cable to connect to problematical laptop in your home, does the problem persist ?(if the problem persist ,enter eventvwr in command on win7 and look if there is the system event log related your issue)
     3.2 when you only use wireless to connect to problematical laptop in your home, does the problem persist ?
    (if the problem persist ,enter eventvwr in command on win7 and look if there is the system event log related your issue)

4 can you ping rd gateway FQDN on both laptop and desktop ,what's the result ?

5 if you install below update patch on your win7 x64 computer and check the result.

Update to add RDS support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3080079/update-to-add-rds-support-for-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-in-windows-7-or-wind
    6 can you troubleshoot network adapter in window 7 and check the result .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhRoKlIP6w

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information. 

7 do you have good system backup for your problematical win7 ?

Monday, February 25, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hi! Thanks for your reply!

1) Desktop is running Windows 10 64 Bit

2) Toshiba is running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) 

3) With even viewer. I managed to find that at the same time that I try to connect to the remote app, there is a security message in the Security section of the even viewer. EVENT ID is 4648.

4) I don't understand what I need to put in the console. CONSOLE: ping rd gateway NAME   ?

5) I installed the update but it didn't solve anything

6) I tried to trouble shoot the network adapter. "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem" is the message        that it gave me.

7) I do not have a backup of my Windows 7, but I still have the windows key of the Windows 7 at the back of      the laptop.

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:48 AM
  • hi,
    "I don't understand what I need to put in the console. CONSOLE: ping rd gateway NAME   ?"
    1 I thought you were using remote desktop connection to access your university solidwork computer and i thought you know the rdgateway FQDN.so you can enter below command in command prompt and look if it is ok. like picture.
    ping rdgateway fqdn
    2 Now i guess you download an rdp file from your university website and use this rdp file to remote access your univesity solidwork computer.(can you detail how can you remote access your univesity solidwork computer?)

3 can you create a new standard testuser and use this testuser to logon your win7 laptop then check if you can remote access your university solidwork computer.

How to Create a New User in Windows 7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdjGbZvY1dg

How to create a new user account in Windows 7 and Windows Vista
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:43 PM
  • 1) I will try pinging when I get back home.

2) Yes if you look at my second post I tried to explain it but it probably wasn't very clear.

Students go onto a website for the university where there is a bunch of links for different programs. When you press on one of the links it redirects you to a download. The file that is downloaded is a .RDP and is already configured so the only thing I do is open the file, put in my log in credentials and then it starts the program which is Solidworks in my case.

This might give a better explanation: https://engineering.uottawa.ca/it/remote-apps

3) I already created a Test user with administrative rights and I tried to use the .RDP file that I redownloaded. It gave me the same error message.

• Edited by Theg00d Saturday, March 2, 2019 9:04 PM
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:38 PM
  • hi,
    From your university website you mentioned.
    "Modern Windows systems were tested successfully, using the default Windows Remote Desktop client."
    1 do above information mean it maybe not support win7 ?(Microsoft will implement Windows 7 "end of life" in January 2020)
    2 did you remote access your university solidwork computer on win7 successfully before on home?
    3 try to change different browser to test logon website and open the remoteapp directly(not save .rdp)
    4 check if the client trust the RDweb and check if there is Valid certificate .like below picture
    5 is there any warning like picture 3 to avoid you to access ?
    6 if you have another hard disk ,we can try to install win7 on this hard disk to check if old win7 system cause your problem.(not need to activate system first)
     if it cause from win7 system ,we can backup current file on old disk and clean install win7 on old disk.

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:38 AM
  • 1) and 2) Yes I have tried with Windows 7 before and it worked.

3) I tried with a different browser and it made no difference, I still have the issue.

4) I made sure and it has all the certificates!

5) There is a warning usually only the first time (I do don't show me this message again) I download one of the .RDP file and run it.

6) I don't have an extra hard drive. I could still upgrade to windows 10 with the Windows Key that is at the back of my laptop but right now I don't have time to manage my files and save them!

Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:02 AM
  • ok, if you have time you can backup you files and  try to clean install win10 directly and install all driver for your computer. Finally check the result .Because there is some problem in your current system and win7 will be end of life cycle.Reinstalling Windows 7 may not be the most time-saving option.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:37 AM
  • Yeah I will probably just opt for windows 10 at this point.

Anyways, thanks a lot for you help!

Friday, March 8, 2019 2:45 AM