none
How to Archive Protected Data RRS feed

• Question

• So I am looking for some kind of solution to a problem we have.

The scenario is this: DPM 2012
    Server A - Partially protecting the E:\ Drive, in other words protecting E:\Data and not protecting E:\Archive.

How do I get E:\Archive on a tape so I can delete it off the server?

It seems you cannot backup a volume or data on a server that is already in a protection group, whether the data on the drive is being protected or not... How do we handle Archiving data that is currently on a protected volume?

I would like to do this as a seperate job and backup directly to tape and not waste space on my DPM drives.

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The only way you could accomplish that would be to unprotect (but retain data) the E:\Data source.  That will move it into inactive protection and you could restore from it if you needed to. Then make a new protection group, add E:\Archive and select only the long term tape backup option.  Go ahead and make the tape backup, then unprotect the E:\Archive and again retain tape backup, then reprotect the E:\Data using original settings and DPM will move it from inactive protection back into the new protection group.  A consistency check will run, and once completed, normal protection will continue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:47 PM