none
MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 and recovery points not ageing on old Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have run this MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 script successfully on 2 of our DPM 2012 servers and have given it time to age off the old recovery point volumes on the old Disk but looking at disk manager, I can’t see them disappearing. On both server, the older disk has removed it’s self from the Disk Pool on DPM though

On one DPM server, I've removed the disk prematurely from the server so in Disk Manager, it's showing the disk as missing as well as a few missing Volumes.

On the other DPM server, I’ve kept the old Disk connected and powered on, but by the looks of it, it hasn’t decreased the volumes on the old disk.

Our retention period is 35 days and I’ve given it over 45 days so far. I really need to remove the disk on one of them and sent it back as well as add a new one as we are currently out of space on that particular server

e.g.

Server with disconnected Disk done prematurely

Server with disk still connected

On the server I’ve prematurely removed the disk, is it ok to just remove the volumes in Disk manager without it breaking DPM.

If so, I’ll follow the same process on the server with the disk still connected before removing it physically

Thanks

• Edited by -DeNMaN- Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If for any reason a recovery point was not taken, that will prolong the pruning to beyond the retension range.  You can see if you have any lingering shadow copies by listing their creation dates.

vssadmin list shadows |find /i "creation time:"

But, in any case, you do not have to maintain the disks until all RP's expire, I have had customers remove them after 1 week even when they had a longer retention period.  You can use diskpart.exe to remove the failed volumes and missing disks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:02 AM