Windows 7 SP1 RTM Bug with Locked Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have just noticed a bug with the latest build of Windows 7 SP1 (7601.17514) which happens on all computers where I have it installed.

If your taskbar is locked and you then right-click on one of the open programs on the taskbar to show the jump list if you then drag on the taskbar with the jumplist open the taskbar will shoot to the top of the screen for no reason.

Not really a serious bug but thought it was quite funny.

Also I still can't post a message here with IE9 beta/RC due to javascript errors and being unable to get the cursor into the message box.

Sorry if this bug is already known.

Robin

Robin Wilson
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:53 PM

Answers

• Yeah, that's a very funny bug )))

Andre , I'll try to explain using the pictures made with Problem Steps Recorder (I won't post .zip though, because my Windows 7 is Russian).

ok, thanks. I can repro it too.

This is a case for the product support:

Contact a support professional by E-mail, Online, or Phone

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• Actually this is also reproducible on the Windows 7 SP1 RC version.

It also happens if the taskbar isn't locked.

On a computer with three monitors it jumps from the bottom of the left-most screen to the top of the screen furthest right.

Robin Wilson
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Actually I've just tested it on a non SP1 version of windows 7 and it appears it is a bug which has always been there and is not specifically SP1 related (although it does still occur)

Should this be moved to a different forum?

Thanks

Robin

Robin Wilson
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Can you provide some pictures? I don't understand your issue.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:47 PM

Andre, I'll try to explain using the pictures made with Problem Steps Recorder (I won't post .zip though, because my Windows 7 is Russian).

1. Right-click an icon of any running program in the taskbar, so its jump list should appear.

2. Move a cursor over the taskbar, press and hold left mouse button and in this state move a cursor again (drag-n-drop over the taskbar).

3. Now you'll see that the taskbar has "jumped" to the top of the screen.

If the taskbar is locked, it remains on top of the screen. If it's not locked, it "jumps" to the top and then again back to the bottom.

That's some kind of crazy bug! :)

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:45 PM
  • I can reproduce this problem too.
    Robin Walker
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:18 PM
  • The IE9 bug can be bypassed by pressing F12 (Debugging mode) and selecting "IE7 standards" instead of the default "IE8 standards".
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Err... What do you talking about? Did you ever read this topic?!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:55 PM

Andre , I'll try to explain using the pictures made with Problem Steps Recorder (I won't post .zip though, because my Windows 7 is Russian).

ok, thanks. I can repro it too.

This is a case for the product support:

Contact a support professional by E-mail, Online, or Phone

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I didn't refer to the taskbar but to the OP's second question: "Also I still can't post a message here with IE9 beta/RC due to javascript errors and being unable to get the cursor into the message box." Selecting a different document mode helps in this case.
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Hello All

Thanks for the replies, maybe it will be fixed in SP2!!! It's not really causing any problems and not really worth me ringing about, I just thought it was quite funny. Although depending on your group policy settings a user may end up with thier taskbar at the top of the screen with no way to move it if you disallow moving the taskbar (I haven't tested this though).

Also the IE9 bug was funny as well as the Microsoft TechNet site is about the only site that causes me issues with IE9. I never get emailed when there are replies to Technet either even though I have said to notify me and my address is correct. It must get blocked by the spam filter.

Robin

Robin Wilson
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Thanks for the replies, maybe it will be fixed in SP2!!! It's not really causing any problems and not really worth me ringing about, I just thought it was quite funny.

you have only chances to fix bugs if you contact the Microsoft support.

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:30 PM
  • bug confirmed on my Win7 x64 pre-SP1. this is very strange behavior... i can't believe the devs overlooked that one! lol
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:19 AM