none
ie11 proxy pac file not showing webpage properly, works properly on Firefox RRS feed

• Question

• This is how it should look (it works on Firefox and Chrome)proper visualization

But on IE it shows like this:

If I disable the proxy the page is properly rendered also on IE11.

This is the proxy.pac file:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {

if (shExpMatch(host, "192.168.115.211") || shExpMatch(url, "http://192.168.115.211/path/*")) return "DIRECT";

return "PROXY http://127.0.0.1:18080";

}

Saturday, February 17, 2018 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi sickdy,

Is the proxy.pac local or on a server?

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

from IE select the File>Properties menu. This will tell you which IE security zone the domain is mapped to.... expected Intranet (when the proxy is active) or Internet (when the proxy is turned off)

or

Press f12 to display the deve tool. On the Emulation tab it will tell you which Emulation mode is being used and how it was established.

When the proxy is on.... the site is in the intranet zone. f12>Emulation tab, shows it is emulating IE7 because "Display intranet sites in Compatibility view." is enabled in your network GPO settings.

You need to install and use Enterprise Site Mode lists to manage the Emulation mode used by IE11 on your networks. You can then set a higher emulation mode (for IE to use). You will need the help of your web site programmers.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enterprise-mode-overview-for-ie11

Rob^_^

Saturday, February 17, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hello, thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately there is no GPO, no server and these computers are all windows 8.1 basic.

I need some of the websites to run on IE11 since they use some filesystem functions that won't work on chrome for security reasons.

How can I force IE11 to run this website on higher emulation mode on a single computer for a single website?

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:48 AM
  • think I found a solution: go on every computer, open IE, press ALT, open the "Tools" menu, select "Compatibility View Settings" and uncheck "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View". This made the website work. Should I be concerned about other issues if I uncheck this option?
    Monday, February 26, 2018 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

yes and no....

It depends on how big your company is and how many intranet websites you manage.

Usually large companies with many divisions deploy Enterprise site mode lists to manage the backward compatibility of their legacy XP error assets.

"I need some of the websites to run on IE11 since they use some filesystem functions that won't work on chrome for security reasons."

... it sounds like you have a number of intranet sites in your company...

"Unfortunately there is no GPO, no server and these computers are all windows 8.1 basic."

...sounds like this is your home computers on which you are developing websites and testing them on localhost on which you have a proxy running...

your test/development environment should not be mapped to the IE Intranet Security Zone unless you are developing for a company website that is.

From IE select Tools>Internet Options>Security tab>Intranet Sites>Advanced button>remove your test/dev website from the list. There is also a setting for "By-pass the proxy for intranet sites".

Save changes.

Return to IE and refresh your page, then use the File>Properties menu in IE to confirm that your test/dev website is mapped to the INTERNET zone and not the ITRANET zone.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

Rob^_^

Monday, February 26, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Unfortunately the reality of this company is: 60 PCs with Win 81 and no domain, every computer "on his own".  I just started working here. I used a proxy pac file to filter websites, since the Family Safety doesn't affect Chrome and extensions are easily uninstalled. Of course also the proxy setting it's easily disabled but I could not come up with something better for the time being.

Changing that IE setting on every computer seemed to fix the issue, now everything is working fine.

From what I understand if I disable that option the problem could be that some old websites could not work properly on IE11. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

• Edited by sickdy Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:09 AM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:07 AM
  • no...

"Include Intranet sites in compatibility view" only affects websites that on company servers.. that is those websites that are in the users "Local Intranet" sites list.(this list can be manually entered or automatically detected).

you should have "Include updated website lists from Microsoft" checked. AND NO website domains in the Users List.

why are you using localhost to run a web site on 80 disparate unconnected clients?

you are doing something wrong... web sites are DEPLOYED/PUBLISHED to web servers, not to localhost (IIS running on the client machine).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:44 PM
  • We have this 60 pcs, on one of them there's XAMPP where I run a few php websites, this client acts as a webserver. So every client connects to its IP address to access the websites.

Each computer has it's own proxy pac file that I update remotely using a custom made php application. And I understand this is "wrong". Why I'm not using a single file accessed by all clients? If the "server" where the proxy file is located is turned of, dies or is unreachable for some reason every computer will be able to access the network (I verified that if no proxy.pac file is found it just allow access everywhere). So setting each computer with its own proxy pac file guarantees a better reliability. The IIS it's anyway installed on each client for other reasons.
    Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:52 AM