none
Prolonged Dataset Copy in DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. I have a data protection group in DPM (System Center 2012 SP1) that is set to copy my company's files which are 1.2 TB in size. So far there is what is called a "Dataset copy" running in DPM and it has been running for 73 hours and counting. Can someone please tell me what exactly the Dataset copy is and if it is needed? So far a little over 1 TB has copied, dedicated to two tapes that are 800 GB in size. I should also mention that the dataset copy has had over a TB of data transferred for the past day and a half.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A dataset copy job can be created for either of these two scenarios:

A) When you have more than one long term tape backup goal.  Lets say you have a weekly tape backup goal and a monthly tape backup goal.  When the monthly tape backup runs it will use the last weekly tape and copy it to the monthly tape.

B) You have configured one or more of your tape backup goals to have the "Number of backup copies" greater than one. Under this condition, every tape backup will result in a new dataset copy job to write that dataset to a 2nd tape. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A dataset copy job can be created for either of these two scenarios:

A) When you have more than one long term tape backup goal.  Lets say you have a weekly tape backup goal and a monthly tape backup goal.  When the monthly tape backup runs it will use the last weekly tape and copy it to the monthly tape.

B) You have configured one or more of your tape backup goals to have the "Number of backup copies" greater than one. Under this condition, every tape backup will result in a new dataset copy job to write that dataset to a 2nd tape. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Thanks Mike
    Friday, November 1, 2013 12:50 PM