Error migrating mailboxes to Exchange 2007

Question

• Hi,

I need to do a cross-org mailbox migration from a single forest to another single forest.
    The prerequisites for a 2000 domain for mailbox migration have been fulfilled.
    The setup is pretty basic, one exchange server in each forest. Exchange 2007 is running on 2003 R2 SP2 whilst the Exchange 2000 is running on 2000 SP4; these are both member servers.

When I execute the following command in the powershell on the Exchange 2007 server

Move-Mailbox -TargetDatabase "exchange2007\mailbox database" -Identity "name of mailbox" -SourceForestGlobalCatalog sourcedc.source.org -GlobalCatalog targetdc.target.org -NTAccountOU "OU=accounts,DC=target,DC=org" -SourceForestCredential $s -TargetForestCredential $t

I receive the depicted error below

Move-Mailbox : Error was found for "mailbox name" because: Error occurred in the step: Opening source mailbox. Failed to open mailbox with error: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class, error code: -1056749262

I am stuck at this point so help would greatly be appreciated, thank You

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:08 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem.

MoMove-Mailbox : Error was found for "mailbox name" because: Error occurred in the step: Opening source mailbox. Failed to open mailbox with error: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class, error code: -1056749262

I can create new users on both servers but I'm not able to move mailboxes between servers. It fails on opening the 2000 store.

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:09 PM
  • I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Has anybody found a solution yet?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:49 PM
  • While searching for How To move mailboxes across forest;Recently I have found a document in msexchangeteam forum saying that Source domain should be at minimum version required is 5.2 (3790) Service Pack 1.Is it So? Has anybody successfully done the mailbox movemene across forest using cmdlet? What are the prequisite. I have one more query: How to move public folder across forest from Exchange 2000?
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:54 AM
  • Is there 2 way trust between the 2 forests?

Ensure that. And also ensure that it is being done in the context of a user who is an admin in both forests.

Monday, June 4, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Hello, I’m another one with the same problem. I have created a trust between the two domains (2way) and still get the same error message. The user account is a full Admin. You guys had any luck?

Cheers
    Chris

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:50 AM
  • This error appears in Exchange code if you are using CDOExm in your process anywhere in your application. Ensure that the 2007 part of the code is completely out of process.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:49 AM
  • If you don't have the Windows 2003 Forest level raised then there is a problem, provided you have Exchange 2000 Server.

The pre-requisite should be a minimum one-way forest trust outbound.  I believe that has been created.  Ensure that the $s and $t credentials are rightly in place.   Check whether you're able to move mailboxes from the existing server and vice-versa in the same ORG initially and then try a move across the forest.

Does the target move hold the right credentials? If so, what are they??

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:57 AM
  • I have the same error, but only on one mailbox.

I've already been able to move 66 mailboxes from 3 different servers to our new 2007 mailbox server.  Tonight I had one mailbox throw the same exact error as the OP.

If anybody can post up a fix I'd really appreciate it...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:44 PM
  •  

If mailbox accounts are disabled, you will receive this error. 

Check active directory for disabled accounts.

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:41 PM
  •  

hi Mike,

Did you ever find a solution to your answer?  I have the same problem, I need to move the database and log files from C:\ to the D:\ drive and I have no idea how. Can you know how, can you reply to this post?

Thanks,
    Dan

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 10:56 PM
  •  Dan_NetAdmin wrote:

hi Mike,

Did you ever find a solution to your answer?  I have the same problem, I need to move the database and log files from C:\ to the D:\ drive and I have no idea how. Can you know how, can you reply to this post?

Thanks,
    Dan

Check the permissions in system manager on the 2003 box they need to be set to Exchange servers to have full permissions.

Also run the exchange best practices tool from the 2007 box >> system manager >> tools

It will tell you about the log files and other things and also give you all the links to the solutions Smile

Monday, October 8, 2007 11:23 AM
  • OK. I think I have it.
    Make sure the account is enabled in Active Directory and also not hidden from Exchange Lists (for display in the GAL). I recommend making those changes on the oldest AD in the list and replicating it to the others. The "Hide from Exchange address lists" option is on the Exchange Advanced tab in the users AD entry.
    Also make sure to replicate any changes you make in AD to all the Active Directory servers in the domain. You may want to wait 5-10 minutes after replicating before trying the migration again.
    Then try the migration to the Exchange 2007 server again. It should work.
    Let me know.
    MG
    Friday, October 26, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Thought I'd add my 2 Cents...

Had the same Error as the OP. I was moving from 2003 to 2007, Same Domain, nothing special, the 250 some odd other users the weeks before moved fine.  It was just the Last user on the 2003 server. It was a Service Account mailbox. So no one logs into it.

Check to see if Account was Disabled, ADSI Perms, yadda yadda yadda...  Still nothing.

Went to Connect to the Server to Look at the Event log.

The 2003 Server was, er um, Off.  CPU Fan Failure from the Night before.   Good thing I moved the User Accounts last week!

So, Make sure the server is on and it took care of my Error...

Scott<-

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Eureka!

Had the same problem - Error -10567492962.  Followed all the steps previously recommended - enabled the account and tried migrating mailboxes from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007 no success.

Finally I checked the event logs on my Exchange 2000 server and observed 9548 "Disabled user .... does not have a master account SID..." errors while migrating. 

Fixed this by granting SELF account External Account and Full Mailbox Access Permissions (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555410), making sure the account was disabled and allowed time for replication.

Once replication completed I tried migrating again and it worked fine.

Thanks for the pointers.

Tony.

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:22 AM
  • I had a similar problem when testing our migration in the lab (142/149 worked fine). For some reason (still unknown to me because there was not record of it in any logs) the 2003 stores decided to dismount. After mounting them, everything worked fine.

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  Volmar Technologies, LLC wrote:
    OK. I think I have it.
    Make sure the account is enabled in Active Directory and also not hidden from Exchange Lists (for display in the GAL). I recommend making those changes on the oldest AD in the list and replicating it to the others. The "Hide from Exchange address lists" option is on the Exchange Advanced tab in the users AD entry.
    Also make sure to replicate any changes you make in AD to all the Active Directory servers in the domain. You may want to wait 5-10 minutes after replicating before trying the migration again.
    Let me know.
    MG

This is the one that works.  You also need to make sure you re-mount your storage group at the same time you enable your accounts.  Wait about 1/2 hour though.  10 minutes may be enough.  It may not.

Monday, May 5, 2008 9:07 AM
  • OK I battled with this one for a while.  Moving approx 800 boxes from 2000 - 2008.  I had a handfull of boxes with this error. 
    Tried everything I could find here and by Google but nothing worked. 

In the end I checked the box permissions the only difference I could see was that the boxes that gave the error had "DomainName\OldExchangeServerName$" as full access.  This was not on the boxes that moved without error.  Once I removed this account the boxes moved ok.

One box also needed "DomainName\Exchange Services" added to full access. 

Problem fixed.  Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Hello! i know its an old topic, but i found an answer:

In my case Display Name was too long;

Disabled User from 27.11.08 UserName Lastname

change to UserName Lastname and no problem Smile

• Proposed as answer by rob.shin Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:20 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:24 AM
  • I also had this issue. The mailboxes didn't even appear until I added an ALIAS to them. Then they wouldn't move until I sorted out adding SELF as Associated External Account -- see Blackbrit's post above.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Hi there,

In my case the account was hidden from the GAL.

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:21 PM
  • I was in the same situation. I tried to move some user in different storage group in exchange 2003. And it generated log file in a few minutes. after there was no space on my hard drive ,the storage groups down. So I deleted some old logs ,mounted the storage group, it worked for me!
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Run Exhcange Best Practise analyzer... get the green.

Try mailbox movement after complete synchronization (many parameters are there to look).

Make sure there is no other activities performing on source and desitnation server.

antivirus scanning. server is busy with users requests. mail queue. any DB activity.

Try after some time when server is free.

If you want to move it right away... then take PST from source.... delete the source mailbox...

create new mailbox on destination and mount it to existing user.

Satish Mekala
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:19 AM
  •  

Volmar Technologies, LLC wrote:
    OK. I think I have it.
    Let me know.
    MG

This is the one that works.  You also need to make sure you re-mount your storage group at the same time you enable your accounts.  Wait about 1/2 hour though.  10 minutes may be enough.  It may not.

Yes, this works also for me! I am in the transitioning from Exchange 2003 SP1 to Exchange 2007 SP3 and had the same problem with two mailboxes. I discovered that they were hided from the GAL. After putting them back in the GAL (remove checkmark "Hide from addresslist") I dismounted and remounted the store were they located. Then I tried the move again and it worked like a charm :-)

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:20 PM
  • i have same err  from 2007 to 2010 .  and i found that move box on 2007 console has err ,but move box on 2010 console is ok .
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:30 AM