SP3 Win 10 Bug - "Project to a Connected Screen" appears after waking from sleep - locks me out, forces restart RRS feed

• Question

• This has actually been ongoing for a few months, and has rendered my Surface Pro 3 unusable.

EVERY time my system wakes from sleep, the "Project to a Connected Screen" sidebar appears. It's the menu that allows to to display on PC screen only, Extended, etc. Anyhow, once it appears, there is no way to get it to disappear. Selecting a display option doesn't help. It also keeps me from doing absolutely anything else on the system. Only way around it is to power down, lose whatever I was working on, and then restart. I've actually disabled sleep, as a temporary workaround, but I don't like my surface pro running 24x7.

Can somebody help me? This first showed Win 10 preview up in a build 3 or so months ago  

• Edited by WhoDatRR Friday, July 24, 2015 3:30 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2015 3:23 PM

All replies

• Anyone? Any insight shed would certainly be appreciated.
    Friday, July 24, 2015 7:27 PM
  • WhoDatRR,

What is your Windows 10 current build?

Once restarted, please check for Windows updates, and if you are not running Windows 10 build 10240, please reply back and I will offer some assistance regarding upgrade.

Have you tried to press Win + P?

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 25, 2015 8:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply...

I am on the most current build (10240), and have been on the fast track for quite some time. Win + P doesn't work (just tried it again, after another lockout). 

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Monday, July 27, 2015 3:03 PM
  • WhoDatRR,

Check Windows Update and see if any firmware update available.

There seems to be July 2015 update available:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:03 AM