Finding Servers with Office installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We've installed MAP Toolkit 6.5.4226.0 using SQL Express from the installer.  When we performed an inventory scan of all our virtual network we were hoping to discover the Servers that had Office installed.  The inventory scan reported only our Desktop's with Office, but did not report any of our servers.  

How would I configure MAP to list servers (2003 and 2008) with Office installed?

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:23 PM

Answers

• I’m assuming that you are getting the list of computers that have Office installed from the Office 2010 migration/readiness report. You are correct; this report is designed to filter server operating systems. Currently, we don’t have a way to generate a report of products installed by machine because of the row limitation of Excel which could easily be exceeded in a large environment.  Here is a method for extracting that data into Excel and then you can use pivot tables or whatever you like to distill the information.

Disclaimer: This advice assumes that you are comfortable using SQL Management Studio or SQL commands to accomplish these tasks. No guarantees or warranties are given or implied by using this advice and it is to be used at your own risk.

1)    From SQL Server Management Studio, run this query:

select * from Get_UI_ProductsResults()

2)    Create the view in SQL Server Management Studio:

a)    Find the database with the info you want

b)    Find the ‘Views’ folder and right-click

c)    Select ‘New View…’

d)    In the ‘Add Table’ dialogue box, go to the ‘Functions’ tab

e)    Select ‘Get_UI_ProductsResults’

f)    Click Add

g)    Click Close

h)    In the function box, choose Computer Name, Name, ProductVersion, ProductVendor

i)     Go to File > Save and choose a name for the view

Once you have created this view, you can open Excel and use the data connection from other sources to import that view into Excel and manipulate the data any way you want.

Warning: Before Excel 2007, the row limit was 65,536 and now it is 1,048,576 rows. It is recommended that you check to see how many rows are returned in the view’s query before importing the view into Excel, otherwise it will fail.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Switzer01 Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by greavette Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:10 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:27 PM

All replies

• I’m assuming that you are getting the list of computers that have Office installed from the Office 2010 migration/readiness report. You are correct; this report is designed to filter server operating systems. Currently, we don’t have a way to generate a report of products installed by machine because of the row limitation of Excel which could easily be exceeded in a large environment.  Here is a method for extracting that data into Excel and then you can use pivot tables or whatever you like to distill the information.

Disclaimer: This advice assumes that you are comfortable using SQL Management Studio or SQL commands to accomplish these tasks. No guarantees or warranties are given or implied by using this advice and it is to be used at your own risk.

1)    From SQL Server Management Studio, run this query:

select * from Get_UI_ProductsResults()

2)    Create the view in SQL Server Management Studio:

a)    Find the database with the info you want

b)    Find the ‘Views’ folder and right-click

c)    Select ‘New View…’

d)    In the ‘Add Table’ dialogue box, go to the ‘Functions’ tab

e)    Select ‘Get_UI_ProductsResults’

f)    Click Add

g)    Click Close

h)    In the function box, choose Computer Name, Name, ProductVersion, ProductVendor

i)     Go to File > Save and choose a name for the view

Once you have created this view, you can open Excel and use the data connection from other sources to import that view into Excel and manipulate the data any way you want.

Warning: Before Excel 2007, the row limit was 65,536 and now it is 1,048,576 rows. It is recommended that you check to see how many rows are returned in the view’s query before importing the view into Excel, otherwise it will fail.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Switzer01 Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by greavette Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:10 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hello Michael,

Thanks very much for your response to my post.  

I'm having some trouble with using your information because I had originally used SQL Express.  I've since removed MAP and my databases (and SQL Express), I've installed SQL Server 2008 R2, and upon installing MAP I was not asked to install SQL Express (so I'm assuming it saw my SQL Server instead).  I followed the MAP install instructions and created an instance called MAPS on SQL Server 2008 R2.  Before I perform an inventory scan in MAP, I need to select a database.  I'm not sure what to pick here.  I picked one called MAPS, but after running the inventory scan, the data did not populate my SQL Server 2008 R2 instance?

How do I connect MAP to my SQL Server database?

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Sorry, my mistake.  I was not connecting to the instance correctly.  I can now see the data in my table and can execute your query.  I've built the View and will attempt to connect now using Excel.

I'll keep you posted on how this works.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Outstanding!  Just wanted to close this thread to let everyone know that I've successfully extracted out all the data I need from our MAPS Inventory. Using Michael's excellent instructions I've extracted the data I need to Excel.  

Thanks for all your help!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:47 PM