Back up failure after bad sector detection in windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently found out that my laptop hard drive has bad sectors on it. What prompted me to perform an error-check is that my computer would intermittently freeze--while this was happening the hard drive would produce an unusual noise. Windows 7 was able to successfully repair this problem (perhaps by reallocating the bad sectors), but the backup application fails every time thereafter. My guess is that this has something to do with the presence of the bad sector, and that it runs into it whenever it performs a backup, because only then would it produce the unusual noise that I mentioned earlier (also when Lenovo's Thinkvantage Toolbox performs a targeted hard drive check).   

Has anyone had the same problem and solved it? 

Friday, January 14, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

• From your description, the hard drive is getting bad. Is common to get freeze, sound coming out from the hard drive when is going south. I would advise you to backup or retreive whatever data you could

You could try installing it as a slave drive onto another pc or with a external hd case and retreive the data from there

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:53 AM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know what error is received when trying to backup? Please understand if there is bad sector on the hard driver, you need back up the files on it and contact the manufacture to examine it. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:30 AM

All replies

• From your description, the hard drive is getting bad. Is common to get freeze, sound coming out from the hard drive when is going south. I would advise you to backup or retreive whatever data you could

You could try installing it as a slave drive onto another pc or with a external hd case and retreive the data from there

Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know what error is received when trying to backup? Please understand if there is bad sector on the hard driver, you need back up the files on it and contact the manufacture to examine it. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:30 AM