none
Direct3D 11 Video Card Resolution Limitation?

Question

• Question:  What is the maximum resolution limit for Single Large Surface (e.g., Eyefinity display group) with Direct3D 11 on Windows 7?  How can I work around that limitation if my Eyefinity setup exceeds it?  Does Windows 8 have the same limitation?

Background:  The following technet article summarizes a maximum resolution limit for Direct3D 10 running on Direct3D 9 hardware under Windows 7:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628224%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Exceeding the limit forcibly deactivates various Windows 7 UI features, including Windows Aero.

I am seeing a similar (but larger) limit for Direct3D 11.  With three 4k monitors (3840x2160 resolution) arranged in a 3x1 Eyefinity group (total resolution 11520x2160), Windows Aero features become disabled and cannot be turned on.  Reducing the three monitors to 2560x1440 resolution each (total resolution 7680x1440) restores Windows Aero features.  Returning to 3840x2160 resolution but in a Windows multi-monitor desktop configuration (no Eyefinity) likewise restores Windows Aero.  I infer from this that there must be a limit somewhere between 7680 and 11520 total horizontal resolution for Single Large Surfaces.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) with a fully DirectX 11 compliant video card (Radeon R9 295x2).  All video drivers and firmware are fully updated.  Windows Aero troubleshooter and DxDiag detect no problems even when Windows Aero is doesn't work.

Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Answers

• I think, the maximum resolution will depend on your graphic card.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:05 PM
  • Hi hamlen,

To enable Windows Aero, please check the thread below:

Aero won't work! It worked before!? (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)

Windows Aero won't work might be related with many aspects, your CPU, GPU and the desktop screen resolution.

Please take a try with the steps mentioned in the above article, if any further help needed, please feel free to post here.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 1, 2014 3:25 AM
  • Hi hamlen,

Sorry that we currently do not find the related information which can meet your demand. For current situation, could you please also involve AMD to check if there's any corresponding information from them? Please let me know if there's any update. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Sophia Sun

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 19, 2014 9:06 AM

All replies

• I think, the maximum resolution will depend on your graphic card.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:05 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

Although graphics cards do indeed have maximum digital output resolution limits, I cannot find any documented case of a hardware-imposed DirectX resolution limit that is less than the card's output resolution limit.  Do you have an example of a graphics card with such a limitation?

My Radeon R9 295x2 card is documented as supporting output resolutions of up to 4096x2160 (higher than my monitors' maxima) per DisplayPort 1.2 output, and display group surfaces of up to 16k x 16k (well above what I'm attempting).  I am also using official DisplayPort-tested and certified cables rated for 4k monitors.

Also, since Windows Aero works at 11520x2160 in multi-monitor mode (just not in Eyefinity), this would seem to prove that the graphics card is not hitting a limit.  The observed behavior therefore matches the software limitation described in the technet article I referenced, except for DX11 instead of DX9.
    • Edited by hamlen Monday, November 24, 2014 5:16 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Hi hamlen,

See if this article would help to check the Direct3D 11 limits:

Resource Limits (Direct3D 11)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff819065(v=vs.85).aspx

For how to deal with the limits, if I have found more information on that topic, I will update here.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:23 AM
  • See if this article would help to check the Direct3D 11 limits:

Resource Limits (Direct3D 11)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff819065(v=vs.85).aspx

Thank you, Michael.  That's an interesting article.  Surprisingly, the most pertinent limit it mentions ("Resource dimension addressable by filtering hardware") purports to support 16k per dimension, which is well above the limit I'm seeing in practice.

Is there any way to determine which, if any, of these limits Windows Aero might be hitting?  Would I expect to see a System Event Log entry, for example?  (Browsing my System Event Log has unfortunately not uncovered anything noteworthy so far.)

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Hi hamlen,

Currently there is no further information I could found either.

What is your current situation by now?

Best regards

Michael Shao

Friday, November 28, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Thank you for searching.

My situation is unchanged.  Windows Aero is unavailable to me with my current monitor configuration, and there does not appear to be any way to enable it.

I expect that this problem may start to affect more people now that 4k monitors have recently become more affordable.  It would be good to have a fix or work-around available.

Friday, November 28, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Hi hamlen,

To enable Windows Aero, please check the thread below:

Windows Aero won't work might be related with many aspects, your CPU, GPU and the desktop screen resolution.

Please take a try with the steps mentioned in the above article, if any further help needed, please feel free to post here.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Monday, December 1, 2014 3:25 AM
  • To enable Windows Aero, please check the thread below:

None of those steps have any effect.  (See list of all suggested steps and their outcomes below.)

Does anyone have Aero transparency working on Windows 7 with a Single Large Surface (e.g., Eyefinity display) of resolution 11520x2160 or above?  If there is anyone reading this who has it working at that resolution on any hardware configuration, then that will confirm that the problem is something related to my particular machine.

List of suggested steps and their outcomes:

1. Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools reports that all component ratings are up-to-date.  Re-running the assessment succeeds and doesn't change anything.

2. Desktop > Personalize > Windows Color and Appearance allows all Aero Themes, but selecting them does not activate Aero visual effects (e.g., transparency).

3. Computer > Properties > Advanced Systems Settings > Performance has all features ticked.

4. Desktop > Personalize > "Troubleshoot problems with transparency and other Aero effects" completes all tests successfully and reports "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

5. Device Manager reports that my display card is working properly.

6. Zeroing UseMachineCheck, Blur, and Animations DWORD keys in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM, and then stopping and restarting uxsms, has no effect because Aero is already "enabled" in Desktop > Personalize.  The Aero effects simply fail to display.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:19 AM
  • Hi hamlen,

Have you tried this ?

Windows Aero Glass visual effects are not working or displayed

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/aero_effects_not_working?wa=wsignin1.0

Best regards

Michael Shao

Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Have you tried this ?

Windows Aero Glass visual effects are not working or displayed

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/aero_effects_not_working?wa=wsignin1.0

That tools incorrectly reports, "Detected your video card doesn't support DirectX 9.0 or higher, Pixel Shader Model 2.0 or higher, or doesn't have sufficient memory or memory bandwidth required to display Aero effects such as transparency."  It reports that incorrect result even when Aero is working perfectly.  Most likely the tool cannot accurately detect the latest video cards.

As I mentioned previously, my video card is a top-of-the-line, Radeon R9 295x2, which is fully DX11 (and even DX12) compatible, and has 8GB of ram---more than enough to support Aero.  Aero even works correctly in multi-monitor configuration, just not in Eyefinity Single-Large-Surface mode.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Hi hamlen,

I am trying to involve someone who is familiar with this topic to further look at this issue, there might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience and thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Hi hamlen,

From your description, I see Aero works correctly in multi-monitor configuration, just not in Eyefinity Single-Large-Surface mode. Here is a related link below which you can use for a reference. Please check the following question in it.

Q: Does Eyefinity support to mix different size displays?

http://www.tulembedded.com/FAQ.asp

[Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.]

Best Regards,

Sophia Sun

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:33 AM
  • Please check the following question in it.

Q: Does Eyefinity support to mix different size displays?

http://www.tulembedded.com/FAQ.asp

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for your response.  I assume you're referring to the following remark in the FAQ:

"On the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series, the maximum SLS is 16000x16000, for DX11; DX9 and DX10 will not permit this size, meaning Aero desktop will need to be disabled and only DX11 mode games will use the full resolution size."

Since my video card is an HD R9 series, I'm not sure whether this limitation applies to me.  Does the modern implementation of Windows 7 Aero still only support DX10, not DX11?  What about on Windows 8?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Hi hamlen,

Sorry that we currently do not find the related information which can meet your demand. For current situation, could you please also involve AMD to check if there's any corresponding information from them? Please let me know if there's any update. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Sophia Sun

Friday, December 19, 2014 9:06 AM
    • Edited by David.G.P Friday, June 3, 2016 12:42 PM
    Friday, June 3, 2016 12:41 PM