SharePoint 3.0? Windows Update Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm working on an SBS2003 box.

I recently installed some Windows updates that broke our simple room booking Sharepoint site. Looking at the dates on add/remove programs I think it must be Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 but that one actually doesn't show a date.. I also have Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 with some updates installed a while ago.

I have done lots of things trying to get the site back up and it did come back for a day (after running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard I think) but for some reason the next morning it was down again, I have errors such as 404 and HTTP/1.1 404 Connection: close.

Running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard again brought up errors which I worked through by doing things such as removing the site from the farm and reading it (although I'm not sure what this actually means.. I just have the one server) now the Wizard completes sucessfully but the site is still not working.

I can get on to the Central Admin page on port 7727 just fine but now I don't see my site amongst the config on the Central Admin page (sorry terminology may be wrong here).

The site still exists in IIS and is running as is the DB if I am correct. Restarting IIS has no effect.

What I do have is a backup of the DB, the SQL server instance(?) is called SHAREPOINT with tables master, model, msdb, STS_Config & STS_SERVER1_1

Is this everything? If so is it possible to just blow away SharePoint and start again with a fresh install and import this backup? Or actually I believe the data to still be intact on the server it self, can I just link it to a new site?

Not sure if any logs or anything are of any use but let me know if they are.

Thank you for reading.

Tom

• Edited by Tom.hill Friday, April 6, 2012 1:14 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

My colleague (much more clever then I) managed to resolve the issue last night. Not sure how but happy it's back up!

Edit - it seemed a different combination of removing and restoring the database did the trick.

Really appreciate your help. I'll update this thread when I find out how.

Tom

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

I feel your pain, WSS3 on SBS was a tough one. You're right on with your fix, however I'm not sure if you the correct databases. STS_ databases I think are from v2. Did you install WSS3 and create a new site or did you upgrade a v2 site to WSS3?

Either way, you can go into the STS_SERVER_1 database, and go into the AllUserData table, see if you recognize your data. If so, then this is your database. If it's not your database, then check in c:\windows\sysmsi\ssee\mssql.2005\mssql\data, this is where the Internal Databases are stored. See if you see a DB in there, named like WSS_Content. 

Once you find your DB, you can create a new Web Application, then create a new Site Collection. With the new site collection available, go into Central Admin > Operations > Manage content databases (from memory, but it's in there somewhere) then attach your database and remove the other one.

HTH

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, April 6, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hi David,

Really appreciate your quick reply.

To be honest I'm not sure..

You're right, that's not my data! I have found it though where you said it would be, it is called WSS_Content_02cf31f2255944a6820beeba69484706.mdf - I have made a copy which I named WSS_Content5555.mdf. 

I created a new Web Application (iisreset) then created a new Site Collection using the defaults apart from a title admin as the admin. At this stage the site works http://SERVER1:5555/ but obviously doesn't include my customisations/data.

To swap the DB's I found Central Admin>App Management >Content databases - I think this is what you mean? I attached the WSS_Content5555.mdf DB which then showed as WSS_Content_0c61fe05-5e57-42d5-ac64-093da1550555 and then removed the other, when clicking on the 'Remove content database' tick box I got the following warning "There are sites stored in this content database. If you remove the database, those sites will no longer be accessible to users. Click OK to remove the database, or cancel to leave the database connected." I clicked OK.

Now http://SERVER1:5555/ shows a 404 error and the site collection list no longer shows the site I just created?

Do I have to attach the site to the DB somehow before deleting the other one?

Thanks David

Tom

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:30 PM
  • When you renamed the database, did you reattach it in SQL? I'm guessing not. Accessing the Windows Internal Database (WID) is tricky with SQL Studio Manager. Try attaching WSS_Content_02cf31f2255944a6820beeba69484706, which should still be in SQL. Also, when you attach, it prompts for server name, are you using SERVER1\MICROSOFT##SSEE? This is the WID instance.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Ahh I see.

I get this error trying to attach that one: Attaching this database requires upgrade, which could time out the browser session.  You must use the STSADM command 'addcontentdb' to attach this database.

Bit of a Google and I ran this from the command line (from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin) :

stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://server1:5555/ -databasename WSS_Content_02cf31f2255944a6820beeba69484706

(http://blog.qumsieh.ca/2009/02/13/attatching-a-content-db-to-a-web-application/)

Which completed successfully, I could then see the DB in Central Admin with the other one:

Add a content database
      Web Application: http://server1:5555/ 

Database Name Database Status Current Number of Sites Site Level Warning Maximum Number of Sites
    WSS_Content_02cf31f2255944a6820beeba69484706
    Started 0 9000 15000
    WSS_Content_65e8a650e2a0489bbef39343c2689740
    Started 1 9000 15000

Do I now delete the DB ending 740? Or do I have to swap the site over somehow first?

Thanks David.

Tom

P.s, sorry yes I am using SERVER1\Microsoft##SSEE it's defaulting to that actually.

• Edited by Tom.hill Friday, April 6, 2012 2:52 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Do you have a backup of the site? Current Number of Sites = 0 is a bad sign, means SharePoint doesn't see a site in the DB. Next step is to restore from backup. I don't know a way to force SharePoint to recognize a site within a database.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Ahh ok, I backup Microsoft##SSEE nightly but I don't have a recent tape in the drive (it's remote) I'll have a trip down and put yesterdays tape in and recover the DB.

Once I have the files, is it easy to restore? You're the man David.

Tom

Friday, April 6, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi David,

I deleted Web App+Site Collection, restored WSS_Content_02cf31f2255944a6820beeba69484706 from Tuesday nights backup (prior to the Windows updates) - I just let Backup Exec do the work.

Then I created a new web app and site collection, iisreset (not sure if that is necessary) attached the WSS_Content_02cf31f2255944a6820beeba69484706 DB (from the command line again) but the Current Number of Sites still shows as 0. Not sure where to go from here.

Tom

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hmmm... maybe try a prior back then? I did a little research on the Current Number of Sites is 0 issue, and everything I'm reading says reload from backup...

Check Event Viewer, see if there's any SQL or SharePoint errors.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:38 PM
  • You could try this http://spsharat.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/how-to11-wss-current-number-of-sites-0-after-sql-restore-of-content-db/

IMPORTANT Modifying data within the tables IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT. However, if you can't get the backup to work, it might be your last resort

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, April 6, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Tired restoring Mondays backup, same problem so tried deleting the row in the table (the steps you linked to) and still no sites after re-adding the DB.. :(

I tried opening to alluserdata table again in SQL Server Management Studio Express to make sure this is the right file and I'm getting another error:

Can't be good!

Tom

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Oh boy, signature not valid is really bad.... When did it last work? I've seen this issue as a result of Windows Update (never narrowed down how exactly). 

Do you have another SQL server or instance you could restore to? Or can you delete the existing database then restore it fresh? It feels like your restores might not be taking place.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Hi David,

A little ray of light (after much ado) I got SQL Server 2005 running on my laptop (Win7) restored the DB and opened the alluserdata table fine (and confirmed my data is in their!)

Now just to find another machine to put it on... I have a Windows 2008 web server but I'm just finding out that will be Windows Internal Database not the ususal SQL 2005 which could cause further issues I guess.. hmmmm

Tom

Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:27 AM
  • Same issue on the 2008 box, I tried to open the alluserdata table in SQL Server Management Studio Express after restoring it on a fresh install of WSS 3.0 which uses the Win Internal DB (http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1577/administering-your-windows-internal-database-microsoftssee-instance/) and got the signature is not valid error. Strange as this is the same backup that opened fine on my laptop..

I have another 2003 box that I might try.

Tom

Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Depending on how large the DB is (under 10gb) you can install SQL Express 2008 R2, free, and should work happier than WID.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:02 PM
  • SQL Express 2008 R2 Express installed, db restored, loaded in SP (I had to use the command line again) but still showing 0 sites :*(

Tom

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Oi

The database opened on your laptop, try backing that up and restoring it to SQL Express for SP to use. 

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Same..

Do I not have to do anything else after restoring the DB to parse it or anything?

Tom

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Same, as in the SQL Error? or current sites = 0?

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Sorry David, sites=0
    Monday, April 9, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Did you try the clearing of the record as previously mentioned in the blog post?

Once it's attached, and showing sites = 0, you can explore the sptestcontentdatabase command, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607941.aspx. Not sure if this will give you more to work with

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I just remembered you're on WSS, not SP2010, so this powershell command may not work...

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:29 PM
  • When it attaches, if SP has an issue with the site collection it should log an error in event view and/or ULS logs. Have you checked those recently?

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:32 PM
  • In the Windows Application Event Log I get lots of info regarding the Microsoft Internal DB (MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE), event ID 5084 (224 of these) and a few more, 18056, 18456, 18457, 15457, 17561, 3454, 3407. These events don't have descriptions.. "The description for Event ID 17561 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found."

There are also 2 events with Source 'Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search' ID 2424 and 'Windows SharePoint Services 3' ID 3760, the descriptions seem to relate to the Microsoft Internal DB "np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\"

So nothing really indicating issues with the 2008 DB referenced MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS in the recovery. I wonder if this in itself indicates a problem!

Not sure how to check ULS logs?

Thanks David.

Tom

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:54 PM
  • The ULS logs are located in c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extenions\12\logs. They can be difficult to read, I'd suggest dettaching the database from the site, then attach it again so the errors (hopefully there are some) will be at the bottom of the logs.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Monday, April 9, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry I haven't been back sooner, couple of hectic days. I detached and reattached on Monday, below are perhaps some useful log entries.. I see what you mean by difficult to read!

I called the DB WSS_Content_Tom768 this time. 

Lots of ALTER DATABASE statement failed.  sp_dboption command failed. Not sure if this is a common issue, Google had a few idea's but didn't help.. have you seen this before?

04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880i High     System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Database state cannot be changed while other users are using the database 'WSS_Content_Tom768'  ALTER DATABASE statement failed.  sp_dboption command failed.     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)  ...  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05* STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880i High     ...   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.SetSingleUserMode(SqlConnection connection, String databaseName, Boolean b)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection()  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880j High     SqlError: 'Database state cannot be changed while other users are using the database 'WSS_Content_Tom768''    Source: '.Net SqlClient Data Provider' Number: 5070 State: 2 Class: 16 Procedure: '' LineNumber: 1 Server: 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query'  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880j High     SqlError: 'ALTER DATABASE statement failed.'    Source: '.Net SqlClient Data Provider' Number: 5069 State: 1 Class: 16 Procedure: '' LineNumber: 1 Server: 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query'  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880j High     SqlError: 'sp_dboption command failed.'    Source: '.Net SqlClient Data Provider' Number: 15627 State: 1 Class: 0 Procedure: 'sp_dboption' LineNumber: 349 Server: 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query'  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       5586 Critical Unknown SQL Exception 5070 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Database state cannot be changed while other users are using the database 'WSS_Content_Tom768'  ALTER DATABASE statement failed.  sp_dboption command failed.  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880k High       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseWssSequence.get_BuildVersion()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseWssSequence.InternalCanUpgrade(String sqlstrLegacyBuildVersion)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPContentDatabaseSequence.get_CanUpgrade()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.CanUpgrade(Object o)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.get_CanUpgrade()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPCon...  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05* STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880k High     ...tentDatabaseCollection.Add(SPContentDatabase database, Boolean provision, Boolean allowUpgrade)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabaseCollection.Add(Guid newDatabaseId, String strDatabaseServer, String strDatabaseName, String strDatabaseUsername, String strDatabasePassword, Int32 warningSiteCount, Int32 maximumSiteCount, Int32 status, Boolean provision, Boolean allowUpgrade, Boolean flushChangeLog, Boolean bSetDbId)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPContentDatabaseCollection.Add(String strDatabaseServer, String strDatabaseName, String strDatabaseUsername, String strDatabasePassword, Int32 warningSiteCount, Int32 maximumSiteCount, Int32 status, Boolean provision, Boolean allowUpgrade, Boolean flushChangeLog)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConte...  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05* STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880k High     ...ntDatabaseCollection.Add(String strDatabaseServer, String strDatabaseName, String strDatabaseUsername, String strDatabasePassword, Int32 warningSiteCount, Int32 maximumSiteCount, Int32 status, Boolean flushChangeLog)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.StsAdmin.SPAddContentDb.Run(StringDictionary keyValues)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.StsAdmin.SPStsAdmin.RunOperation(SPGlobalAdmin globalAdmin, String strOperation, StringDictionary keyValues, SPParamCollection pars)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.StsAdmin.SPStsAdmin.Main(String[] args)    
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.05 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Database                       880l High     ConnectionString: 'Server=np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query;Database=WSS_Content_Tom768;Trusted_Connection=yes;App=Windows SharePoint Services;Timeout=15'    ConnectionState: Open ConnectionTimeout: 15  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.07 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Upgrade                       0 High     CanUpgrade [SPContentDatabase Name=WSS_Content_Tom768 Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE] failed.  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.07 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Upgrade                       0 High     Database state cannot be changed while other users are using the database 'WSS_Content_Tom768'  ALTER DATABASE statement failed.  sp_dboption command failed.  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.07 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Upgrade                       0 High       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.SetSingleUserMode(SqlConnection connection, String databaseName, Boolean b)     at Micros...  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.07* STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Upgrade                       0 High     ...oft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(Guid id, Version defaultVersion)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseWssSequence.get_BuildVersion()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseWssSequence.InternalCanUpgrade(String sqlstrLegacyBuildVersion)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPContentDatabaseSequence.get_CanUpgrade()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.CanUpgrade(Object o)  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.07 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   Topology                       8dyx High     Deleting the SPPersistedObject, SPContentDatabase Name=WSS_Content_Tom768 Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance Name=Microsoft##SSEE.  
    04/09/2012 18:06:00.08 STSADM.EXE (0x1350)                     0x1048 Windows SharePoint Services   General                       72ju High     stsadm: Database state cannot be changed while other users are using the database 'WSS_Content_Tom768'  ALTER DATABASE statement failed.  sp_dboption command failed. Callstack:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)     at System.Data....  

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:53 PM
  • tbh the DB is only small and doesn't contain any confidential information, I could even send it over?

Tom

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:30 PM
  • sure, send it over. david at lozzi dot net. I don't have a WSS3 server up, but I can spin one up shortly.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Hi David,

My colleague (much more clever then I) managed to resolve the issue last night. Not sure how but happy it's back up!

Edit - it seemed a different combination of removing and restoring the database did the trick.

Really appreciate your help. I'll update this thread when I find out how.

Tom

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Ah, that's what I was hoping to test out on my end. 

Glad its now working!

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:13 PM