Taskbar highlighting issue RRS feed

• Question

• There is a real problem in W7.  If I move my mouse along the taskbar, the task I'm currently over highlights.  If I move the mouse up, it stays highlighted.  At a glance, I have no idea which window I'm currently in.  Unless I actually use the taskbar to switch windows, the wrong app is highlighted most of the time.

Also, with some programs, alt-tab doesn't un-highlight the app on the taskbar.  This is especially bad for IM programs that we use because it always looks like there is a new message waiting.  IE8 does the same thing.  If I'm in browser window A and it is highlighted on the taskbar and I alt-tab to browser window B, toolbar A is still highlighted.

I'm trying to understand how the highlighting is determined.  Sometimes it has a red hue, sometimes blue and sometimes it's just a white.  Does it just take an average color of the icon and use that?

Friday, November 6, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Update: When I rebooted, it appears that this issue went away.  Now when my mouse goes over the taskbar items, it pops open a mini-window showing the contents of the app.  It wasn't doing this before when I was having the problem.  It appears that whatever is bringing up the mini-windows gets stuck somehow.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding you questions, I would like to share the following with you:

Taskbar

For the issues that an application is keeping highlighted even the mouse is not hovering on it and the thumbnail gets stuck, I suspect this might be caused by some conflicts, please also try the following to have a check:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, November 16, 2009 6:03 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:48 AM