none
Items on Favorites Bar Automatically Re-Populate After Deleting Them RRS feed

• Question

• So after I delete an item from my favorites bar in IE11 it almost instantly reappears.  I've confirmed the autocomplete setting for address bar and favorites is un-checked. 

Internet Options>Content tab, 'Settings' button in Autocomplete section, UNchecked the options to use autocomplete for Address bar entries, including favorites.

I'm using IE11 with Windows 8.1, starting IE from the desktop (not from the start screen).

I've stopped and started IE, rebooted the PC.   I've even deleted the 'Favorites Bar' folder in my profile; it too automatically re-appears.  Next step I'm trying (barring a solution from the experts) is to uninstall and reinstall IE.  Should I also perhaps run malwarebytes (low-level virus checker/remover).  I would hope the security features included with Win 8.1 and IE11 would prevent this from being a malware issue.

AAAGGHH - this is frustrating.  HELP  !!!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Answers

• I believe it is (finally) fixed.  With IE closed, I deleted my whole favorites folder from my profile:  C:\Users\username\Favorites

Then I immediately did a cold boot:  powered the PC off and powered the PC back on

After the cold boot I started IE and I had no favorites, but only momentarily.  After a few seconds my favorites bar reappeared.  However, I was able to delete some of them without them re-appearing.  I think there is still some sync setting but my original issue appears to be resolved.

Thanks for your help and patience.

• Edited by metacman Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by metacman Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the result if we delete it from the folder C:\Users\username\Favorites\Links, then clean the recycle bin?

please also refer to this KB, check whether it fits this situation?

You cannot remove items from a roamed Internet Explorer Favorites bar in Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2876504/en-us

And does this issue occur in one a particular item or in all items in the favorites bar? Test in no add-ons mode, click Tools>Manage add-ons, disable all add-ons.

A security scan is needed in case some malware cause this issue

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger LuModerator Friday, February 28, 2014 8:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by metacman Friday, February 28, 2014 5:17 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 6:07 AM
  • No. none of what you suggested worked. 

I deleted the folder and emptied the recycle bin.  The folder re-appeared faster than I could navigate from one screen to another.

I checked the KB article, but it was not applicable to my issue.

I shut-down all add-ons and the removed favorites bar items still reappeared.  This recommended fix was hard to recover from.  Don't suggest this to others.

Happens with any and all items (shortcuts, etc.) on the favorites bar.

I ran a deep-dive malware scan -- no issues found.

Next step(s)?

Friday, February 28, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

What is the environment? Domain, workstation or home group?

In Windows 8.1, there's a sync setting, move your mice to the right charm, click Settings>Change PC settings>Skydrive>Sync settings>Other settings>Web browser, turn off the sync for My favorutes,open tabs......

And another solution to check whether it is related with Syncing, you can disconnect the internet connection then delete the favorite item.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 3, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Thanks Yolanda.

I turned the >Skydrive>Sync settings>Other settings>Web browser syncing parameter off and the problem still presented itself, even after a reboot.

But the disconnect from the internet worked (temporarily) as soon I as reconnected, the deleted favorites re-appeared.  What sync setting will disable this?

The environment is a home network with the problematic PC (Win 8.1) connected via Ethernet (not WiFi).

• Edited by metacman Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:21 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:19 PM
  • Can you delete the whole folder Favorites Bar in C:\Users\username\Favorites, close IE, then re-open IE, check if the favorites items still appear, if still doesn't work, I suggest you turn off IE and re-turn on IE, check the result. 
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:02 AM
  • I believe it is (finally) fixed.  With IE closed, I deleted my whole favorites folder from my profile:  C:\Users\username\Favorites

Then I immediately did a cold boot:  powered the PC off and powered the PC back on

After the cold boot I started IE and I had no favorites, but only momentarily.  After a few seconds my favorites bar reappeared.  However, I was able to delete some of them without them re-appearing.  I think there is still some sync setting but my original issue appears to be resolved.

Thanks for your help and patience.

• Edited by metacman Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by metacman Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:23 PM
  • I also have this problem. I am on win7 64bit.  After I delete an item in the fav bar using win explorer, it comes back. My amazon link is repopulating with 987+ repeats after deleting them all, even when permanently deleted from the recycle bin.

I have unchecked the autocomplete box for favorites, that didn't work.

I am not a techie, so go easy on any answers. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Floradd

Monday, March 23, 2015 11:04 PM