none
Master page with multiple navigation ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am developing new website in SP2013. There are 5 existing websites. There is a requirement that there should be a redirect link on each of these site which should take to my new site , that should show the same navigation structure of the source site from where it has redirected.  Each site has its own navigation ( Not same navigation). Each site has different skin/theme.  In my new site the functionality should remain same for all the sites from where they come from except 'navigation'.  That they would want to have the same feel of the site.  So my query is, 

Does Master page handle this kind of request?  It should render navigation structure based on the site( source site) from redirect request has come?   OR do i need to have 5 master pages?? The reason i am asking is,

Do I need to develop Single site or five sites?  Five sites because each of the site navigation and look and feel is different OR is it possible to have single site with multiple navigation structure ?? 

I would prefer to have single site  because functionality same, otherwise it would be 5 times of development effort to have 5 sites just for difference in branding.   Please let me know your thoughts.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:28 PM

Answers

• Based on my understanding of your requirement. You have 5 different websites with different navigation. You want to navigate between all the 5 websites without loosing each site navigation elements. 

With the help of master page and a bit of custom coding you can achieve this. Create a Custom List storing all the navigational elements. Then use SharePoint object model to frame the navigation elements as per your desire.

One masterpage is enough for this.

Regards,

Sairam Avacorp Technologies

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:40 AM

All replies

• I too have the same requirement. Any help ASAP is really appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:26 AM
  • Based on my understanding of your requirement. You have 5 different websites with different navigation. You want to navigate between all the 5 websites without loosing each site navigation elements. 

With the help of master page and a bit of custom coding you can achieve this. Create a Custom List storing all the navigational elements. Then use SharePoint object model to frame the navigation elements as per your desire.

One masterpage is enough for this.

Regards,

Sairam Avacorp Technologies

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:40 AM