Admin doesn't have admin rights...? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

I am a domain admin and enterprise admin on one of our domains.  However, when I try to install some software that's an MSI file, it tells me I must be an administrator to install.

I double checked local users and groups and the proper groups are in the administrators group so I should be a full admin.  It's just not recognizing it as such.

The person who setup this domain is no longer with the company.  Are there any group policy settings that could cause admins to not be full admins or anything else anyone can think of as to why this might not be working properly?  I also can't paste a file into the root of the "D" drive but I can make a folder on the D drive and paste it in there.

Something is just very strange.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:37 PM

Answers

• That's just how it is.  Many update MSI packages require you to elevate to admin in command prompt and run them.  I have to run most of the Exchange updates that way.  They may have turned off UAC or something on one domain and not the other.  I don't know.  Since that takes away some security, I'd simply elevate the command prompt and run the file from there.  Command line is good to use.  It's faster and more powerful anyways.  You should embrace this.  :)

-Brockstar

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:34 PM

All replies

• Being domain or enteprise admin is not enough. You should install with elevated (priviledged) rights. I mean Run a Administrator.

Consider using install function with appropriate parameters

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314881

HTH

Milos

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:17 PM
  • Problem is this only happens on one of our domains and not the rest.  And you can't run an MSI as admin so I have to open a CMD as admin and then manually run the MSI which is annoying...
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:06 PM
  • Hey Kelemvor, which OS are you working on? If you can launch CMD as admin that usually means you are logged in as an admin. MSI files usually lead to another issue. Verify that you can install .exe's and perform other admin actions.

- Please remember to mark post's as helpful if they assist you with your issue.
    - Please remember to mark post's as an answer if they provide you with an answer to your issue.

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:26 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:14 PM
  • That's just how it is.  Many update MSI packages require you to elevate to admin in command prompt and run them.  I have to run most of the Exchange updates that way.  They may have turned off UAC or something on one domain and not the other.  I don't know.  Since that takes away some security, I'd simply elevate the command prompt and run the file from there.  Command line is good to use.  It's faster and more powerful anyways.  You should embrace this.  :)

-Brockstar

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to confirm what is the current situation.

Did you try to install any .exe file to check the result?

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:31 AM
  • I was simply able to open up an elevated command prompt and then just run the msi file directly that way.  It seems like a UAC difference between our domains but I haven't had time to investigate it yet.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:30 PM