Want to hide the "optional" updates listed in Windows Update - how can I do that? RRS feed

• Question

• Each time I look at the Windows Update window, it shows "select the updates you want to install" and lists out more and more language packs every day.  In XP there was a way to select an option to 'Hide" the updates you didn't want/need to see any more.   I have no use for 31 different language packs and simply want to hide those options and keep them from showing all the time.   How can I do this?

Thank you!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• Each time I look at the Windows Update window, it shows "select the updates you want to install" and lists out more and more language packs every day.  In XP there was a way to select an option to 'Hide" the updates you didn't want/need to see any more.   I have no use for 31 different language packs and simply want to hide those options and keep them from showing all the time.   How can I do this?

Thank you!
    Hi

The Windows Update list now supports multiple selecting. This works the same way that you select multiple files anywhere else in Windows.

You can  select the first update in a long list that you want to hide and then press the SHIFT Key and select the last update. This will select the entire list. Right click the selected list and select the Hide These Updates option.

You can also select multiple, updates by selecting one and then holding down the CTRL Key and then selecting each individual update.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

• HelloNNNewman,

For one thing, you're right that Microsoft is rolling out more and more language packs every day - up until today, there were only four available apart from English, and now there are upwards of 30! You should, however, be able to right-click on individual updates and select "Hide Update." There is not yet a batch method of doing this, to the best of my knowledge.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Hi Alex...

That did it!  Thanks... I guess I'm the 'typical' Yank where more than one(1) language is too many  ;)   lol  I really appreciate the faaaast response!

All the best!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:59 PM

Thank you!
    Hi

The Windows Update list now supports multiple selecting. This works the same way that you select multiple files anywhere else in Windows.

You can  select the first update in a long list that you want to hide and then press the SHIFT Key and select the last update. This will select the entire list. Right click the selected list and select the Hide These Updates option.

You can also select multiple, updates by selecting one and then holding down the CTRL Key and then selecting each individual update.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Thank you Ronnie!   I would have thought they would have use the obvious way of selecting multiple items by using the check boxes right there (perhaps too obvious?) I would certainly suggest this to MS as the default way of selecting multiples since it simply makes the most sense. 

IMHO... With MS trying to make an OS that is easy to use and intuitive, it's little things like this that would be obvious interface issues.  I hope they change this to simply allow selecting items with the check box and having a choice in the left pane to 'hide the selected updates' (they have one to 'unhide' them).   I really appreciate the fast response!

All the best!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I'm also having this issue. I must say is totally non intuitive!

One thing that is important to note: Selecting the checkbox is not the same as selecting the update!

Check multiple checkboxes and then right-click does not work.

There should be a button or menu that allows the user to have a better control on the updates and selecting the checkbox should select the update.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:04 PM