none
Move projects between PWAs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I want to ask community, does anybody know any best practices of migrating projects between PWAs?

I have a lot of projects in /PWA1 and i want to move some of them to /PWA2 with all resources, assignments, project sites.

One of available options is to export project to mpp-file and then publish it to another PWA. Is this the only solution? It implies a lot of work such as:

1) Open project in Project Pro

2) Save as mpp-file to local drive

3) Connect Project Pro to /PWA2

4) Open mpp-file

5) Export project to /PWA2

6) Manually re-assign all resources?

7) Export project site from /PWA1 using Central Admin

8) Import with replace project site to /PWA2

How can i bulk export projects from one PWA and import to another? Or maybe my procedure above isn't correct and can be simplified?

Monday, February 2, 2015 9:53 AM

All replies

• Lehus,

In summary, yes. If you need to do it manually, this is the process, AND is time consuming. I would use the Import Project Wizard to import projects into the second PWA, though, so that you can verify the data before import.

Now, you could automate some of this, by writing your own VBA script.

Alternatively, I suggest you try using the Project Migrator, http://qaservers.com/productsprojectmigrator2013.html from Fluentbooks. I have used it before and it works well.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:19 AM
  • Yes, Project Import Wizard is very helpful!

Unfortunately i've got refuse from Fluentbooks even with trial request, so apparently a lot of manual work is coming..

Anyway, thank you for reply!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:58 PM