none
Please explain me RRS feed

• Question

• i have a system with name Jeyhun, when i ping it it returns the address 192.168.40.92

but when i use ping -a 192.168.40.92 it returs other computer name.

So this menas there are lot of old entries and those ips are assigned to other systems. I am looking a way out

I try to clear dns cache but it has happened yet.

Monday, March 12, 2018 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question. Please try the following suggestion:

1. Make sure that the computer’s PTR record exists in the Reverse Lookup Zones of local DNS server and ensure it correct. If its system has been reinstalled or quit domain, the old record would remain on DNS server for a while, and DNS would response the old probably. Please check the record.
    1. Type the command “ipconfig /flushdns” on the DNS server to clear up the aged records. Then restart DNS server or Reload the DNS zone.
    1. When you use ping -a 192.168.40.92, it returned internal name or external name? short name or full name?

Please type the command “nslookup -d2 -type=ptr 192.168.40.92” at the CMD.exe on the computer you ping to monitor the name query process and drop me the result here.

1. Please remove appended DNS suffix of the computer you ping and check “Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes” on Advanced TCP/IP settings of IPv4 Properties as the following figure.  

1. Set scavenging and aging time on the DNS server. Please refer to the following link and figures:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/21724.how-dns-aging-and-scavenging-works.aspx

Hope the information above helpful.

I really appreciate your effort. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:26 AM
  • hi,
    thanks for reply me. I'll try it and say you about the result.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 4:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your message.

I look forward hearing from you. If you have any questions and concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Wish you have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Michael 

Friday, March 16, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:23 AM