none
Restore Exchange 2010 DB failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I need your help please, we are testing DPM 2010 with Exchange 2010 (DAG) , we created a new Exchange database for the testing purpose, I did a Full Backup of the database and when i tried to recover the backup, I kept getting this error message:

Recovery failed for  $db_name on $exchange_server as the specified database is not a recovery database.  (ID 32624)

I did some Internet search for this error and I didn't find any solutions :(

Thanks

Misbah

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:55 PM

Answers

• Hi

There are couple ways thast DPM allows you to restore a database.

1. Entire Database - In case of a complete disaster and you need to restore the whole database. you can use the option to restore the DB to is original location. For this to work from Recovery Tab, expand the Exchange server and highlight the All Protected Exchange Data. On the central pane, right click the database name and select restore.

2. Mailbox - If you only need to restore items from a user mailbox, then you can expand the database in DPM Recovery, right click a mailbox and select Recover. By using this method you can't restore to the original database. when you select a mailbox to restore, DPM will actually restore the whole database to a staged location which in this case is the Recovery Mailbox DB. This Mailbox DB needs to be created by the Exchange Administrator. This is a two step process. The first process is the restore from DPM and the second is done by the Exchange Administrator which is to extract what he needs and import it to the desired mailbox.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by cool_misbah Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:51 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• What did you try to restore? The whole database or a mailbox?

For both operations, DPM will restore the whole database but for a mailbox type restore, you will need to restore the DB to a Recovery Database.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876954.aspx

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Thanks Wilson ,

very interesting link !

I was reading some document I downloaded from Microsoft website:

DPM 2010 datasheet - How to protect Microsoft Exchange with Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6702

I didn't find the kind of details in the link you provided me , I am not the Exchange Admin but I am in charge of virtualization and vm backups, so be patient with me :)

we basically want to a way to backup our mailbox databases from exchange and be able to restore them in case something went wrong.

the test I did, was to backup a test mailbox database, do little changes (send/delete few emails) and finally restore the mailbox database,

the test database, has only one mailbox item and I see the "Recover option" only under the mailbox item ..not the whole database.  I am almost sure all the exchange databases we have are mailbox databases and not recovery databases , so how we should backup our mailbox databases and restore them ?

shall we create a recovery database for each mailbox database when we need to restore the backups of our mailbox databases ?

and then somehow convert or sync the RDB to the mailbox databases ? 

Thank You,

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Hi

There are couple ways thast DPM allows you to restore a database.

1. Entire Database - In case of a complete disaster and you need to restore the whole database. you can use the option to restore the DB to is original location. For this to work from Recovery Tab, expand the Exchange server and highlight the All Protected Exchange Data. On the central pane, right click the database name and select restore.

2. Mailbox - If you only need to restore items from a user mailbox, then you can expand the database in DPM Recovery, right click a mailbox and select Recover. By using this method you can't restore to the original database. when you select a mailbox to restore, DPM will actually restore the whole database to a staged location which in this case is the Recovery Mailbox DB. This Mailbox DB needs to be created by the Exchange Administrator. This is a two step process. The first process is the restore from DPM and the second is done by the Exchange Administrator which is to extract what he needs and import it to the desired mailbox.

• Marked as answer by cool_misbah Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:51 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Thanks a lot Wilson for the help, the database restore is successful now : ) 

Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:52 PM