is there a way for a device using internal dns to act as an external device? RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

if i deploy tablets and give them limited access to the network but share the internal dns, can I still have them access the edge as if it's an external device. 

thanks,

rudif

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:14 PM

Answers

• If they're lower security and don't have direct access anyway, I'd try to get that WiFi network to use external DNS.

That being said, for mobility, just publish your lyncdiscover and your external web services FQDN only to them via DNS and make sure they're hitting a reverse proxy that will forward the request to your front end servers on port 4443.  Avoid publishing lyncdiscoverinternal to these devices. 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

• Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, March 3, 2014 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Friday, March 7, 2014 6:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:30 PM

All replies

• Is the tablet using Mobility?  Then the answer is an easy yes.  If it's a Windows tablet running the full client, then you can hardcode them to connect to the edge if they're using internal DNS.  It's possible but may involve some network trickery to allow an inbound connection to head outbound and loop back inwards.  But, why would you want them to connect via the edge?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:53 PM
  • hi,

it is primarily mobility.  We have personal tablets and smartphones, some of them run Windows 8.1 but mostly iPads.  I can see a rise in tablet devices with Windows 8.1, however, with a full client version of Lync 2013.

They are on a wireless network which uses our internal dns.

We want to treat them with lower security because most of these devices are personal devices, so they can't connect to our lync servers directly.

rudif

• Edited by rudi f Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:23 PM
  • If they're lower security and don't have direct access anyway, I'd try to get that WiFi network to use external DNS.

That being said, for mobility, just publish your lyncdiscover and your external web services FQDN only to them via DNS and make sure they're hitting a reverse proxy that will forward the request to your front end servers on port 4443.  Avoid publishing lyncdiscoverinternal to these devices. 

• Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Monday, March 3, 2014 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Friday, March 7, 2014 6:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:30 PM