How to choose App-V 5 Sequencing "Primary Virtual Application Directory"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How to choose App-V 5 Sequencing "Primary Virtual Application Directory"?

Should I use c:\program files\MyAppR1 or just c:\program files or c:\Anything, dose it matter?

/SaiTech

Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Quoted from the sequencing guidelines;

"

The Primary Virtual Application Directory is the directory that will contain all files for the sequence.  It is recommended to define the application’s default installation directory (example C:\Program Files\directory) as the Primary Virtual Application Directory. "

Guidelines available here;
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27760

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Hey there,

Tim Mangan wrote an excellent article about this.

What I Do:  App-V 5 and the “Primary Virtual Application Directory”

//Alex

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or MVPs.

Twitter: @alexverboon | Blog: Anything About IT

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Quoted from the sequencing guidelines;

"

The Primary Virtual Application Directory is the directory that will contain all files for the sequence.  It is recommended to define the application’s default installation directory (example C:\Program Files\directory) as the Primary Virtual Application Directory. "

Guidelines available here;
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27760

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Nice to know. Se before sequencing I have to know the exact folder structure of installable application, in what directory it would be installed by default?
    Monday, March 18, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Nice to know. Se before sequencing I have to know the exact folder structure of installable application, in what directory it would be installed by default?
    Yes. Presumably you have a good understanding of the application before sequencing it. This generally means going through an installation of the application and understanding the layout on disk, what impact the app has on the user profile etc, before sequencing.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Hey there,

Tim Mangan wrote an excellent article about this.

What I Do:  App-V 5 and the “Primary Virtual Application Directory”

//Alex

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or MVPs.

Twitter: @alexverboon | Blog: Anything About IT

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:55 PM
  • I Think that Tim Mangan have an other theory  for PVAD like C:\[PackageName] than the application’s default installation directory. Well I will go for c:\default installation directory. Maybe Tims method is better but I have to start with some PVAD standard method.

source:

"While I’m sure that someone from Microsoft would probably disagree with me, I don’t really care if the app installs into the PVAD or not. Being lazy, I’ve been letting them install outside the PVAD, and haven’t been having problems so far." /Tim Mangan

http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=1283

/SaiTech

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:43 PM
  • We have used App-V 5 to virtualize 100+ applications which we push out via SCCM 2012.  After having attended Tim Mangan's training, I now routinely choose a different pvad.  I seem to have a  better success rate that way than when I was following Microsoft's recommendation.  That being said, when an application doesn't pass initial testing, my first line of action is to re-sequence it using the application default directory as the pvad, and that usually fixes it.

V Wood Binghamton, NY

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:20 PM