Beginners PerformancePoint Questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I'm completely new to PerformancePoint so please bear with me. I have a number of questions regarding delving into PerformancePoint and knowing its capabilities.

Firstly, I'm looking to pull KPI's already defined in Analysis services into PerformancePoint and use them to build up a scorecard. I'm assuming that this is fairly straight forward and is just a matter of adding KPI's from an OLAP source pointing to my analysis cube. Is it possible to drill through to a document or a reporting services report when clicking on a specific KPI? If so is this done from the drill through actions in Analysis services or can this be done in PerformancePoint itself?

Ideally i want to be able to link to a PDF document held in a SharePoint document library and more specifically point to a specific section dependant on the KPI that was clicked.

Has anyone done anything similar and if so could they provide me with some help as to how to get under way with this,

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

G

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:26 PM

Answers

• You can implement a hyperlink from one KPI to another web page which could be another dashboard and include charts/grids/scorecards.  To implement this see the following post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/10/05/implementing-a-hyperlink-from-a-kpi-in-a-scorecard.aspx

You can drag members to either the rows or the columns - do drag your departments out to the columns or rows and then drag the KPIs to the rows/cols.  The one strange behavior is that the KPI name and the Actual/Target values must reside on opposite axis, so if KPI Name is on Rows, Actual/Target must be on columns.  If KPI Name is on Cols, Actual/Target must be on Rows.  Not ideal I know, but we are fixing this for v2.

Hope this helps.

Alyson

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:27 PM

All replies

• You can use the scorecard wizard to import SSAS KPIs already stored in your cube - this is fairly straightforward.

From a KPI in a scorecard you can only access the Drillthrough functionality in the cube for v1.  However, you can set up something similar in PPS, using what we call a display condition view.  Here is a link to a blog post to help get you started:

http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/06/15/how-do-i-link-a-report-to-a-kpi-in-a-performancepoint-dashboard.aspx

Thanks,

Alyson

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:34 PM
  •  

Alyson,

Thanks for this. The Display Condition View looks ideal for drilling through to an HTML document.

I have some other questions though.

If I set up the Display Condition View to link to a report. Is there any way that i can also have this KPI drill down to another dashboard showing the KPI's making up that value perhaps inclusive of charts.

Can PerformancePoint scorecards which show KPI's be formatted to any other ways than just the single row showing name, Actual, Target and the description. Is there any way to perhaps show it in a mtrix style where i could have departments as columns and KPI descriptions down the left hand side. The KPI values could then be cross referenced against a department? If this cannot be done I'll have to look at implementing this top level view as a report which drills through to a PerformancePoint dashboard.

Thanks so much for the replies so far

G.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:30 AM
  • You can implement a hyperlink from one KPI to another web page which could be another dashboard and include charts/grids/scorecards.  To implement this see the following post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/10/05/implementing-a-hyperlink-from-a-kpi-in-a-scorecard.aspx

You can drag members to either the rows or the columns - do drag your departments out to the columns or rows and then drag the KPIs to the rows/cols.  The one strange behavior is that the KPI name and the Actual/Target values must reside on opposite axis, so if KPI Name is on Rows, Actual/Target must be on columns.  If KPI Name is on Cols, Actual/Target must be on Rows.  Not ideal I know, but we are fixing this for v2.

Hope this helps.

Alyson

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Once again thanks you. Its starting to sound like I may be able to do what i need to with PerformancePoint Smile

I know i probably should start another post and mark this as answered but i'll chance my luck.

The Hyperlink functionality is fine, but is there a way to set a hyperlink on a column header?

Also i'm having difficulty in getting my head around filters. When i select a time dimension and then set the member to [All] i would expect it to return all time meber values in the drop down. Instead it just returns [All Periods]. Is this an expected outcome or is there a way to set the time dimension to be dynamic. The same happened when i was selecting column headers from a dimension. Selecting all only shows the All member and not those child members.

I'll set the post as Answered and ask any further questions in new posts.

Thanks for the assistance.

G

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Hyperlinks will work off the KPI Name - not sure whether it will still work when the KPI Name is in the columns, although it should but I can't confirm.

You have to individually select the members you want to appear in the filter.  If you want all the members of a particular hierarchy you would be much better off creating an MDX query parameter and using MDX to grab all the members, you can use an expression as follows:

[dimensionname].[hierarchyname].members

Although, if there are more than 500 time members you will have issues with your filter.  Best to limit filter members. 

Thanks,

Alyson

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  The instructions in the blog have not worked for me -- specifically when I add a new property to the scorecard I can't get it to show up in the dropdown field list in the dashboard.  Also, I understand there are issues with this solution such as the detail report not showing up in its own window.

I'm new and I'll keep researching, but it short what I'm looking to do is to click on a gauge that is blaring RED at somebody, with that click pulling up the details as to why the KPI is flashing red -- sort of like a jump to action in an SSRS report.
    • Proposed as answer by Bob Harford Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:15 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:19 PM
  • This blog worked for me to enable drillthrough actions via right-clicking a Scorecard:  http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/01/17/analysis-services-actions-and-drillthrough-capabilities-supported-in-performancepoint.aspx

I also understand that actions will be supported in a future release.

So my particular set of issues/questions has been resolved.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:42 PM
  •  Actually the previous blog only shows how to drill-to-detail to get the fact table, which actually isn't very helpful since it typically only contains numeric values and maybe a date field or two.

This URL is what I was looking for showing how to link a scorecard and its KPIs to other elements on the dashboard:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/HA102411051033.aspx
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Hi, even i am new to this concept of Performance Point Server 2007. Questions that i have are as follows.

1) My company is not going to implement ssas cubes for the business scenarios. So would i still be able to create scorecard's, Kips and Reports from the tablular datasources basically direct Sql Server 2008 Tables?

2) The next step after the first question is that, will i be able to create a scorecard, kpi or dashboard from a datasource which i get from a web service call. I wanted to do it programmatically. What i mean is, if i have a Sharepoint Site and if i have my dashboard deployed to it through a native Performance Point server webparts for sharepoint, can i point that dashboard to use a use a datasource which i get through a web service call programmatically?

Please help me know how efficient is Performance Point Server for a dynamic and programmatic usage where ssas cubes does not come into picture.

Regards,
    Sravan Kasyap K.
    Sravan Kasyap
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:14 PM