none
GPO didn't work

Question

• I define software restricition ploicy, but I can still copy *.exe into windows\temp directory, also may I know how to check variable Temp is pointing to which folder?
    Monday, March 28, 2016 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please share us what target the GPO is attempting to get.

Software Restriction Policies (SRP) is Group Policy-based feature that identifies software programs running on computers in a domain, and controls the ability of those programs to run. Please see details from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831534.aspx

About %Temp%, normally the path of Temp folder will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp. In order to locate temporary folder, you could run ECHO %Temp% command as Administrator. This displays the full path of the actual temp folder and you could follow the path and identify its location by copying the entire path and pasting it in Run command or in search options.

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 28, 2016 8:41 AM
  • I define software restriction policy, but I can still copy *.exe into windows\temp directory,

SRP does not forbid file copying, it forbids file execution..

Software Restriction Policies (SRP) is Group Policy-based feature that identifies software programs running on computers in a domain, and controls the ability of those programs to run.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, March 28, 2016 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please share us what target the GPO is attempting to get.

Software Restriction Policies (SRP) is Group Policy-based feature that identifies software programs running on computers in a domain, and controls the ability of those programs to run. Please see details from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831534.aspx

About %Temp%, normally the path of Temp folder will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp. In order to locate temporary folder, you could run ECHO %Temp% command as Administrator. This displays the full path of the actual temp folder and you could follow the path and identify its location by copying the entire path and pasting it in Run command or in search options.

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 28, 2016 8:41 AM
  • I define software restriction policy, but I can still copy *.exe into windows\temp directory,

SRP does not forbid file copying, it forbids file execution..

Software Restriction Policies (SRP) is Group Policy-based feature that identifies software programs running on computers in a domain, and controls the ability of those programs to run.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Monday, March 28, 2016 9:30 AM