Send SCCM 2012 client or re-send client to individual computer RRS feed

• Question

• We have a tech tools web portal and I need to add an item so techs can send the SCCM 2012 client to a machine. This will be used if they have to reinstall the client for some reason.

I had planned to use PowerShell and created the script only to find out that it requires too great a permissions role to connect to the SCCM drive so the cmdlets can be used.

I then thought I could just create a .CCR for a computer. But, the format for SCCM 2007 does not work for SCCM 2012.

Reasons we are approaching this in this manner are:

1) We want to install using the CURRENT client files. And, we don't want to copy those off to some other location and need to remember to update them when we update SCCM 2012.

2) We want the retry capability that comes with using .CCRs.

3) We want the "smartness" of the client install we have found. We have a distributed operation and doing the client install by an SCCM admin from the PowerShell script or via the right-click in the console allows SCCM to find the closest DP and use client install files from a local source when available.

4) We have a LOT of desktop techs that we do not want having access to the SCCM console. There is just too high a learning curve. We want a simple tool.

One other thing to mention ... we cannot use the Generate CCR tool because we are not turning on client push (lots of valid reasons for this and some the SCCM admins don't think are valid, but the decision has been made for us :) )

Anyone have thoughts on how to have a simple tool to send the client install via script or .CCR?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:13 PM

Answers